Most Annoying

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
here's another - going to any forum to ask for assistance and being told your device isn't any good because it's not the same brand as theirs, isn't compliant or operates differently than theirs - and never getting a competent answer to your problem.

Even "I don't know" is better than the "mine is better than yours" crap. Better yet - post nothing unless it's a solution and not a judgement.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Originally posted by rockislandmike
Seems to happen most frequently in terms of DCC. For some reason, people are awfully defensive about their "preferred" DCC system.
Or the preference for DCC, period. I fully expect someone to propose it as the solution to peace in the Middle East!

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
I agree about the DCC thing.
I just do not understand why people take that outlook.
In this hobby there are so many choices. If one takes a certain way of doing it and they are happy, they should not be criticised for it.
Marty

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Shouldn't matter to any one else what DCC system one uses just as long as the user is happy with their system.I gotten to the point if some one ask a question about what DCC system do you recommend, I just don't reply or I send them a e mail with the system I use and why I chosed that system. As far as that goes I have seen a simple question over a given brand of engine or car turn into a mine is better then yours or other babble that has nothing to do with the question that was asked in the frist place.

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
the one thing i hate the most is when i have my hands full of plaster and in the middle of putting in down and you hear (ring ring) that phone and no one else is in the house and it is some one on the other line trying to sell you something i screwed up a lot of carpet trying to run for the phone and trying to get it out before the wife see it so their gose my day working on the layout and here comes a day cleaning carpet...

Amen, Phil and Brakie.

The same hold true for virtually every aspect of the hobby, not just DCC. Why some guys get so worked up over the brand or type of loco someone else is running, for example, is just totally beyond me. I've even seen guys get ripped for using the "wrong kind" of plaster in their scenery. It's all so silly and pathetic.

But R-I-Mike is right: it seems to happen most often in discussions about DCC at some of the other forum sites. And it makes me wonder if some of those guys have any other life. Because of that, though, I did make the decision some time back that when I make the move to DCC, I'll keep quiet about it. No point in painting a big target on my chest just because I chose Brand B over Brand A.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Scoob, I've always been of the habit to not answer the phone if I'm busy doing something. If it's important, they'll leave a message. Used to drive my wife crazy, cause she'd always *HAVE* to answer the phone, couldn't just let it ring. If the phone was right beside me, she'd nearly flip out.

I have since converted her to the dark side. If the phone rings and we're watching TV together, and the phone isn't right on the coffee table, nobody even flinches a muscle.

Drives some of our friends crazy, but too bad. Just cause the phone rings doesn't mean you have to drop everything to get it.

<< PS - call display rules !!! If I don't recognize the # phoning, forget about it. Also has the added bonus of making sure any friends send me their new phone number asafp - including all their cell phone #'s >>

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
RIMike,
I don't know if you have it where you live, but here in Conn. we have "privacy manager". You know those "Out Of Area" calls is someone trying to sell you something. A couple of times going to the voice mail, they stop calling. Unfortunatley, my work comes up "Out of The Area", but they usually leave a message.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Caller ID Rules!!!!

Mike - BTDT -- :D :D

I've experienced almost the same thing, but in reverse (I'm the ex-Phone Grabber) :)

Caller ID saved me. :) And YES all our friends & family do call us ASAP with number changes... It's great - Plus No Sales People..

:D :D :D
~~ Mikey

ANo10

Sep 1, 2002
Midland, Texas
Visit site
Casey, RI Mike, N Gauger,

I've experienced the same thing, up to your elbows in plaster-phone rings. At the height of their season (holidays) we were getting 20-25 telemarketers' phone calls per day.

I purchased a Telezapper from Radio Shack and have cut calls to 2-3 local telemarkerters a week. Since most calls are computer generated calls, the device gives a "disconnect and remove signal" to their computer, and they scratch you from their list.

Jim

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
I also have experienced the old plaster in hand or knock over the paint bottle answering the phone.

Thankfully NY State has a plan where if you put your name on a register than no telemarketers can call you unless you request them to in writing. I love it, no calls at dinner time anymore! And when I do get a call it is friend or family:) :cool:

Hey, Jim, it's good to hear from you. And welcome to The-Gauge.:p

Well, the state of Missouri solved all (or at least most of my ringing phone problems. We have the "No Call" list here. That means that telemarketers, phone solicitors, etc., cannot by law call any resident who has signed up for the list. If they do, they're liable for up to $5000 dollars in fines, and the state's Attorney General is pretty aggressive in going after them. He has gone after outfits as far away as California and Florida and gotten them. So far, over a million Mo. residents have signed up for the list. It sure put an end to the aluminum siding, vinyl window, and long distance carrier calls I got every day :D :D

ANo10

Sep 1, 2002
Midland, Texas
Visit site
Hey Mike,

Nice to see familiar faces. Don't know all the rules here yet. So I'll be a slow poster.

Texas should follow other states lead and adopt a similar program. Till I found the aforementioned gadget, had to get an extra unlisted line, just for friends and family.

Followed your advice on layout. Coming along pretty well. Will post pics later

Jim