More Shuttles

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cmags

I would think it OK to publish your modifications of Ulrich's models provided you include a note and link to the original model (though I'm sure you'd do this anyway). Might be best right in the .pdf in the corner of the pages.

Oh and I'm quite stoked about a Delta Flyer redraw. I've been watching Voyager on DVD start to finish and just got to the episodes where the Flyer was built so it'll be fun to build it along side.

bf109

Mar 13, 2009
amsterdam
i agree with cmags , you tried contacting him that didn't work so as long as you give him credits he cant say anything , and i dont think he will or mind for that matter

C

cmags

Anyway, I finished the new Type 9, and since I've already got permission I'll be posting it within the hour. I had to make some slight tweaks to the design, the nose is supposed to be round instead of flat, so I changed that, and I've included all the parts necessary to build it to the same level of detail show in the pictures (I used a second printout for some of the raised detail, like the thrusters, engine inserts, panels on the top and bottom of the shuttle, etc. I included tabs too. I still managed to keep it down to one page though. Who thinks I should make one scaled up even more? The detail resolution would probably stand up to it......

I'm looking forward to the additional updates and details, and am all in favor of doing a larger version. The beta build Paragon was kind enough to give me is going well and I agree the resolution is definitely there for scaling up.

Here's my build thread for those interested: http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165758

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
The magnificent Prahn

I remember when he passed away in the mid 90s...It was very sudden. He was really ahead of his time and would have loved this site and the efforts of all those who try to create and build upon his generous work. His were the first paper models I ever built.

I've built his DY-100 twice and recommend the Romulan Scout...it makes an amazing kit.

As I recall, he was strict against anyone using his material to make a profit. I can't speak for the man, but I would be shocked if he wouldn't have encouraged the use of his work as a foundation to build more. He really loved trek and paper models.

I think he'd have given his blessing and looked forward to building you variants himself. My only suggestion would be to include a link to his page and comment of his precursor version. I have print outs of the original downloads and will forward the addy if it would help. It would be a respectful use of your talent and a tribute to a really nice guy.

With respect to he who isn’t at the table,

The DC

Paragon

Apr 22, 2007
Greenville NC, USA
www.freewebs.com
Alright, here's the new version, finally. First, I wanted to show you some of the construction of the warp pylon.

As you can see, it makes for a pretty sturdy design.

Next, we have the shuttle on the whole. She's not a lot more detailed than the previous version, but there are some subtle changes that make her a lot more accurate. I think the most important change to the model is in the nose; the rounded end and insert deflector really make the model in my opinion.

This one ended up at 16cm long, which puts it at about 1:53 scale. I'm going to try finding a more standard scale; who likes 1:48?

Unfortunately, I didn't include the registry on the bottom of the nose for this build, but I did add it to the file for everone else who builds it.

Here you can see a comparison of the two noses:

C

cmags

Wow! Looks great! Love the updates. Good idea with gluing a tab for the pylon right to the side and layering another side right over it. You're a laminating fool! sign1 My solution was to stick tabs out the side of the hull to stick the pylon to:

Keep up the good work. My beta-build is now seemingly "obsolete" but its fun anyway. I'll finish this one at 1:100 to match others, but I'm definitely going to be building your updated version at 1:48 (that's obviously my vote). :thumb:

S

Starship Builder

so will there also be another version of this at the same scale as the other shuttles

C

cmags

Not sure if Paragon is going to release a 1:150 type-9 or not, but an FYI, the 8.5m-long type-9 comes out at 5cm in 1:150. I'm at about the smallest I can build with my 1:100 (the phaser strip on the nose of the nacelles is approx 2.5x0.75mm). Tho I suppose if you skip a bunch of the raised and sunken surface panels, it would be buildable.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
!!!!!!!!!!!!

A whole fleet of shuttles... :band1:balloon6

:goldcup::wave7: Spectacular workmanship...

Our first movie shuttle... sign1
Many in large scale.....:inw:
With no free time I have to start building... :row1:

I've run out of expressive icons and praise for the man some call....

PARAGON... :thumb:

:!:pS: nice dedication to our lost comrade...

Paragon

Apr 22, 2007
Greenville NC, USA
www.freewebs.com
Well, at the moment I'm considering designing a shuttle complement for Durandal. I've already got some concepts for a Ranier Class ship (runabout size roughly), and some preliminary designs for a (new) standard shuttle and a smaller "assault shuttle".

McCoy

Aug 15, 2007
nice job paragon... ur the man :thumb:

i coudn't wait for ur shuttles so i made one of my own... (and then u upload ur's lol) gallileo 5 shuttle with interrior ... i will upload it later today... and i made some concept of star trek tos thug ship ... and st 11 shuttle so i'm going to upload that to...

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Should I ask?????

Of course, Paragon, some of us would love to see the Sapecedock [type 4] shuttle, or the STTMP [type 3] variant.

I could hunt down some images for you....:rolleyes: if it would help...:p

Cheers an any event; I'm laying out and having fun with your weeks grand gits!

Cheers,

The DC

Status
Not open for further replies.