More people That just don't get it..

hooknlad

From time to time I have placed articles on THE GAUGE re: justice on the gauge, etc...
Now here is a story about some prank that could lead to charges of Domestic terrorism.. These Kids are Playing with fire and the big guys will catch them. Trespassing on America's Railroads' and planting a so-called bomb, no matter how small or indiscriminate ,is still a bomb. The feds will find these characters and put them away for a long long time.. When will kids learn. Will they adhere to the laws once one of their friends is killed or maimed?

March 16, 2007 - The Home News Tribune

Firecrackers set off probe
SAYREVILLE: A large amount of firecrackers placed on a railroad track led to an investigation by officers trained in terrorism.
A Norfolk Southern Railway freight train was traveling through the borough Tuesday morning. At 9:47 a.m., the conductor and engineer were startled when they heard two loud bangs and saw white smoke emanating from the track under the first car, said Sayreville detective Ken Kelly. The train was about a quarter mile from Washington Road near Deerfield Road.
Police initially thought the train ran over an explosive device. Norfolk Southern Police, New Jersey State Police Weapons of Mass Destructive Team, Middlesex County Office of Emergency Management, New Jersey State Police Bomb Squad, Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office and the Sayreville Police Department responded to the scene.
Evidence examined at the scene points to fireworks being deliberately placed on the tracks for the train to run over. Kelly said police believe juveniles who frequent the area left the fireworks there. There was no damage to the train, engine, tracks or injury to any people from the incident, Kelly said. There are no known suspects at this time.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Oh heck kids have been doing this since the first tracks went through the countryside. The railroad use to put a sign /target like design on boxcars that hauled explosives. That was a good idea except that the country folks thought it look like a target and would shoot at the sign. Needless to say the railroad had to change the signage.

[FONT=&quot]Don’t get me wrong I don’t endorse doing anything around the train lines but the fact is it is not new. ;)
[/FONT]

kf4jqd

Kids will be kids. The stuff that I did between the ages of 12-15, I today would be labelled as a terrorist.:curse: All through American Railroad history, pranks has been play on or along the tracks. Have you ever put a penny on a rail before an on coming train? After 9-11, so much has changed. It's so sad.

Andy:wave:

Maineiac

New Model Railroader
The railroad use to put a sign /target like design on boxcars that hauled explosives. That was a good idea except that the country folks thought it look like a target and would shoot at the sign. Needless to say the railroad had to change the signage.
That's awesome!!!sign1sign1sign1

hooknlad

I agree - kids will be kids, but it just seems that kids of today are dumber for some reason.. not a stereotype, but a blanket statement.. heres why i say that.....
How many kids do you see playing on a playground today? Or just being in a yard playing with Tonka trucks? For me and most of my friends, we were ordered to be outside after our homework was done and had to be inside once the street lights came on.. We relied on our bikes to get us across town or somewhere we wanted to go, within reason.. Yes we did walk the gauge,, looking in ponds for poli-wogs, frogs etc.. We build playhouses in the woods with scraps of wood that were thrown out and most of our dad's tools were lost to those woods as well. We had constructive skills to build these things and ramsp for our bikes. We fixed and even built our own stuff. We never had to keep up with the jones's . TV was only to be watched with our parents during tv time. I had to be in bed after Popeye was over.. How many kids today have the ability to construct things, have their own imagination..
Now a days, kids are locked in their rooms, physically unfit from their computers, etc... Im just scared of the future of America.. Oh BTW im only 40...
Does anyone else share these feelings? I agree, fireworks on the tracks was fun, but common sense in todays day in age, not cool.. Not because I have grown and had my fun, but people are too damn scared.... everyones doors are locked - ALL THE TIME.. Remember when it was Ok to leave your doors unlocked???

hooknlad

RESPECT played a big part in growing up back then as well, and you were afraid of your dad coming home, taking his belt off, and giving you a good crack on the ass... Just try that today....

kf4jqd

hooknlad said:
RESPECT played a big part in growing up back then as well, and you were afraid of your dad coming home, taking his belt off, and giving you a good crack on the ass... Just try that today....

You are so right. I dated this girl who lost her kids to the State of Wisconsin. She was working with a socail worker to get her kids back. The socail worker asked me how I would disapline my son. It determines what he did I told her. What if he ran into busy street or had a fit in a store. I would spank his little butt I told her. You know she told me if she ever finds out that I did that. I would be going to jail!:curse: :curse: :curse: for child abuse. I told the woman to get out of my house. And if she would ever do that. I would sue her to high heaven. Plus I told her it's people like her that our nations kids are running wild in the streets. I also witness a woman being arrested at Walmart for spanking her son for misbehaving. Did you know as she was lead out of the store in handcuffs? The people in Walmart, inclueding me, was clapping for her!

Andy

Torpedo

hooknlad said:
......There was no damage to the train, engine, tracks or injury to any people from the incident, Kelly said..........
And no terrorism, but a lot of inconvenience to the railroad and the authorities. It should be treated that way.

Fluesheet

hooknlad said:
I agree - kids will be kids, but it just seems that kids of today are dumber for some reason.. not a stereotype, but a blanket statement.. heres why i say that.....
<snip>
Does anyone else share these feelings? I agree, fireworks on the tracks was fun, but common sense in todays day in age, not cool.. Not because I have grown and had my fun, but people are too damn scared.... everyones doors are locked - ALL THE TIME.. Remember when it was Ok to leave your doors unlocked???

I know where you're coming from hook, but I don't necessarily share the feelings. All kids (myself included) are / were dumb. The *way* kids express their lack of perspective may be different, but at the core kids have been stupid since time began :). The difference is in who is currently the adult. My stupid teenage acts seemed perfectly reasonable (to me) at the time, but I'm sure an adult of the same era would have questioned my wisdom, and maybe would have made the same argument you are making today! :D

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
kf4jqd said:
You are so right. I dated this girl who lost her kids to the State of Wisconsin. She was working with a socail worker to get her kids back. The socail worker asked me how I would disapline my son. It determines what he did I told her. What if he ran into busy street or had a fit in a store. I would spank his little butt I told her. You know she told me if she ever finds out that I did that. I would be going to jail!:curse: :curse: :curse: for child abuse. I told the woman to get out of my house. And if she would ever do that. I would sue her to high heaven. Plus I told her it's people like her that our nations kids are running wild in the streets. I also witness a woman being arrested at Walmart for spanking her son for misbehaving. Did you know as she was lead out of the store in handcuffs? The people in Walmart, inclueding me, was clapping for her!

Andy
People like this need to learn the difference between punnishment and abuse almost as much as the ones actually abusing their kids. A swat on the butt for misbehaving isn't abuse.

My dad gave you two chances. The first time you were told. The second time you got your butt whooped. After that, you made sure there wasn't a third time.

On the other hand, my stepdad never got physical with me but his verbal abuse and psychotic rants did more damage to me emotionally than one of my Dad's butt whoopings ever could have done.

brakie

As a young lad there is some grounds rules I learn fast.
1.Don't back sass any elder.
2.Never temp either Grandpa.
3.Never back sass either Grandpa.
Those above rules would earn you a spanking with a hickory switch except for both Grandpas..The preferred a razor strap..
You would receive one warning-either BOY!,KIDS!,LET'S QUIET DOWN NOW! or ENOUGH NOW! Except for Grandma Miller..YOU KIDS! We knew then we have slipped into the danger zone.
The biggest mistake I can recall making as a kid was sassing my Grandpa..After picking myself up all I had to say was yes or no sir.

Ah dear me, what a pity the old days are gone when we could just physically abuse children and get away with it. They'll be complaining about wife-beating next, dam' pinko liberal-commies, eh?
Of course those young kids are terrorists, let's round 'em up, beat them for a while and then send 'em to Guantanamo where, thank goodness, that writ of that bleeding heart habeas corpus nonsense doesn't run.....

oldtanker

It's a shame that the harmless prank of yesterday is a felony today because of fear. No I never put anything on the rails. When we live in NJ when I was a kid my dad had a part time business he ran from our basement, gun smithing, he knew every local cop by first name. All of them had his consent if they caught me doing anything to pick me up, spank my ass and bring me home where I would have had another session with a belt, so other than fights with other kids I was pretty good. Did my friends put pennies on the tracks, sure! I did ride my bike down to watch the trains as they pulled into the Red Bank yard pretty often. I even remember seeing my first GP out there and really thinking it was cool cause it didn't look like an F!

Rick

Chaparral

Graffiti on my property is not art

No one abused us, that’s hype!
We had love and discipline.
Hysteria, extremism and agendas have begat a generation of rude, dispassionate and ill-mannered brats. I feel somewhat avenged knowing the only memories of 'childhood' these micreants will have is one of hyseria and extremism.
Parents, brats themselves, thrive on the idiotic notion that it takes a village to raise a child.
I say to them: you had them, you raise them, and you discipline them so they are not a threat to my property or my life.
Do it with your money and not with my tax dollars.

doctorwayne

:wave: Interesting chat, but training kids seems like a pretty tenuous link to trains, which is what I thought we were here for. :D I once put a penny on the tracks, but, luckily, it shorted things out: otherwise, it probably would've derailed my train.:D
freshfoe-toes001_921807.jpg

Wayne