more orca build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lizzienewell, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    83
    I whipped. I've been going at this model making none stop. I'm getting whatever I get done into a show this weekend. I e-mailed the show director and can still get in if I hand carry the pieces.

    I'll be displaying on a 6'x2.5' table. I think I'll bring along some flat work to fill up the space if I can't get more than a few models done.

    I've met several glitches. I've been using .06x.156" strips of styrene and have designed all the parts to work around that size. I ran out and found that Hobbycraft had run out as well. I check House of Hobbies and they had styrene but not the size. Ugh. I will have to modify designs for a different size to make more models.

    Here are picture as I work. The first is the fusalage parts as they went together. Next is the fusalage finished but without the skin. I pleased with how the tail came out. I'd been using just a flat piece of cardstock before and it was too floppy.

    I've been struggling with the skin by making it quickly out of copypaper and taping it together.

    You can see I still haven't got it all smooth without wrinkles.

    As an aside I designed an alphabet for my science fiction world. It's based on marine signal flags but I modified it to work in black and white as well as color and I added more letters so that there is one letter for each sound. I'm staying with arabic numerals but have added two numerals(X for ten and N for eleven) so that it can be base twelve.

    I think it looks cool for identification on the models. Nothing fouls up believability of science-ficiton models like the roman alphabet.

    Lizzie
  2. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    83
    I whipped. I've been going at this model making none stop. I'm getting whatever I get done into a show this weekend. I e-mailed the show director and can still get in if I hand carry the pieces.

    I'll be displaying on a 6'x2.5' table. I think I'll bring along some flat work to fill up the space if I can't get more than a few models done.

    I've met several glitches. I've been using .06x.156" strips of styrene and have designed all the parts to work around that size. I ran out and found that Hobbycraft had run out as well. I check House of Hobbies and they had styrene but not the size. Ugh. I will have to modify designs for a different size to make more models.

    Here are picture as I work. The first is the fusalage parts as they went together. Next is the fusalage finished but without the skin. I pleased with how the tail came out. I'd been using just a flat piece of cardstock before and it was too floppy.

    I've been struggling with the skin by making it quickly out of copypaper and taping it together.

    You can see I still haven't got it all smooth without wrinkles.

    As an aside I designed an alphabet for my science fiction world. It's based on marine signal flags but I modified it to work in black and white as well as color and I added more letters so that there is one letter for each sound. I'm staying with arabic numerals but have added two numerals(X for ten and N for eleven) so that it can be base twelve.

    I think it looks cool for identification on the models. Nothing fouls up believability of science-ficiton models like the roman alphabet.

    Lizzie