more on radius

pupparo

Jul 12, 2001
Jensen Beach Fl USA
Visit site
I am still cofused about how to lay out my layout.
If I draw a radius on center of track how can I lay track or inclines if I can not see the line I drew?
I am using woodland scenics inclines which are two and a half inces wide.
If I can not see the line I drew at a 11 inch radius how can I curve the inclines?
I know this is a stupid question but I am stumped.
Any helf from all you master builders?
Joseph Pupparo.
pupparo1@msn.com

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Another way you could do this is you can use a a set of scibes or a compass like the ones we all used in school. set the distance from the point and the pencil tip at 1 1/4" and follow your your first center mark. This will give you the outside of your riser/incline. Then after you have your incline/riser secured you can take the compass and remark the center line on the riser/incline.

C

Catt

Pupparo,first things first . These are not stupid questions,how else would you find out if you don't ask .Tyson and RI541 have both given you good advise.Feel free to ask your questions here,we all had to learn this stuff too you know.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Joseph:
If you can draw an 11" radius, you should be able to draw a 9 3/4 and a 12 1/4 radius. I usually draw all 3 when I lay track.
I made a radius bar using an old yard stick. I put three holes in at one end spaced for my centre and two outside measurements, then put holes at the required distance from the centre hole. These holes are big enough for a pencil. I slip the centre hole over a nail and draw the curve, then repeat for the other 2 holes. (Sometimes the hard bit is finding a place the pout the nail!) Just remember to mark the holes as the markings on the yardstick will be out.
(Course, I'm working in a larger scale than N - you might find an 18" ruler works.)