More Help

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: I am still working on those engines, I think the Mikado is scrap. One of the 0-6-0's the day after started giving me problems, but hey! My question is, how do you quarter the wheels on let's say the 0-6-0? I have tried every thing to get the wiggle out of it but the best I can do still has a slight wiggle in it, every thing else makes it worse or not run at all. Going slow it is fine but at a little faster pace it gets worse. A diagram for this old man would help, retired and trying to live on SS can't afford to buy another one right now. One of the traction wheels (right front) appears to be loose. I didn't want to tear it all the way down unless absolutly neccesary. Thanks guy, Jim :sleeping:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I posted the exploded parts diagram of the 0-6-0 on The Gauge Yahoo site. If you don't Yahoo, PM your Email address and I'll send the scan of it.
I have fussed with the one I have and it still has a slight wiggle to it.
As for quartering the drivers on the 0-6-0, I put the crank pins at the 6 O'clock position on the right side. When you do this be sure to take the slack out of the gears by holding the rear driver in position and rotate the front until the slack is out.
When you have all the crank pins on the right side at 6 O'clock with the slack removed, put the crank pins of the drivers on the other side at the 9 O'clock position, keeping the first side at 6 O'clock. Be sure not to let the drivers on the first side slip in the gear when adjusting this side or you will need to start over.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Ray, thanks so much. Every time I would get it smooth a couple of laps and it would start to wiggle again, so after getting rather aggrevated I started tearing it down more. I dicovered that the gear themselves had a spot it would catch a little, so deaper I went. When this thing was put together in Cina (this is a cheapy, but I got another one I have running very smooth) they cracked a gear on the front drivers and tried to repair it with some glue that I thought was a bushing. The nerve huh? I am going to try to repair it while apart if not order a new set of gears. I really didn't know how to quarter the drives for sure. I was going with the main drive on right to 6 oclock and the other at 12 oclock. Duh. If this works I am going to challange my Mikado again. These were cheapies but when your retired strictly on SSI you can't afford those nice ones so often. Again thanks so mush Ray, I knew for sure you would know. :thumb: Jim

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The gears cracking is a common problem with those Bachmanns.
If you can get new gears I would do so. If not, I've glued the wheels on using Loc/Tite but it's a tricky procedure, it's not hard to end up gluing the axles to the frame.
I know what your saying about SSI, I'm trying to survive on SSD. Luckily my wife is able to work a part time job.