more from Micro-mark

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Looking thru the latest Micro-mark catalog and they have a graphite-alcohol solution called Neolube for blackening the wheels, side rods, etc on the steam engines. Have any of you used this, and how well did it work? They also have Doc O'brien's weathering powders in twelve colors: dirty brown, mildew green, grimy black and so on, anyone had any experience with these?
Both of these products sound pretty good, but I doubt that they are a new idea and so I'm hoping that some of you can enlighten me. Thanks----John R

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Hey Bob, thanks for the information. I'm not too concerned with how conductive it is as much as I'm wanting to darken the side rods on three steam engines. If it will do what they claim, it would be perfect. How long will an application last and how easy is it to use? Do you need to give it more than one coat? ----John R

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
John,

I coated my side rods and several sets of car wheels that needed it, over six months ago and they are still looking good.

Always glad to help out another fellow Hoosier (I grew up in Evansville...)

Bob :wave:

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Bob, I grew up in Logansport, about 70 miles north of Indy.
Thanks again for your feedback on this. I'm totally enjoying weathering the rolling stock, but the engines need to be done right with the least amount of handling. One of the reasons I got into HO railroading was the detail on the steam engines.
When I see what these guys are capable of, the attention to detail and the realism of the layouts, the trains have to look as realistic as possible. I'm not able to start my layout quite yet, but soon. Meanwhile, I weather them and run them on a temporary oval.

Thanks again, John R