MoPac Short Bay Window Caboose project

Below is a pic of a project I finished up tonight, which is a kitbash of a Missouri Pacific Short Bay Window Caboose. I used the Walthers Bay Window Caboose kit as a starting point. I chopped out a section of the roof and rejoined the ends, and cut out the walls and made new walls from styrene. I made the handrails from Athearn stantions and handrail wire. The toolboxes on the far platform were made from styrene. I painted it Signal Red because I think the color seems to be a better match, and the decals are by Microscale.

MP_SBW_CAB_2.jpg

For comparison purposes, below is a pic of the Walthers kit which when assembled out of the box looks like this:

MP_BW_CAB_1.jpg

Here's what the prototype photo looks like:

mp13806.jpg

chapmon

BETTER THAN BRASS!!!

Nice job as usual Eddie. I like how you really did it. Now where's that how-to article so we can follow along.

Mike:D :D

Thanks, Guys.

Originally posted by dash10
I love it. Isn't that what they call a trasfer caboose? DASH

Dash - The one I did is referred to as a "Short Bay Window Caboose", sometimes called a Shorty, Party Barge, etc. These were actually road cabooses that replaced MoPacs ageing fleet of cabooses in the late 1970's and were used over the road.

The transfer cabooses looked quite different as can be seen in the picture shown below:

mp11908l.jpg

Re: BETTER THAN BRASS!!!

Originally posted by chapmon
Nice job as usual Eddie. I like how you really did it. Now where's that how-to article so we can follow along.

Mike:D :D

Mike - I've got 2 more of these to make and plan to take pics of the process this time since I worked the bugs out during making the first one. Hopefully, the 2nd and 3rd ones will look better, since I've got a few things I plan to do a little differently to improve on it.

rockislandmike

That turned out GREAT, Eddie. I've got a Rock Island transfer caboose I'm working on somewhere in my project pile (I used an Athearn caboose, and bought an aftermarket transfer caboose kit, I think the company was Mococo???).