Moldy Crow WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Gearz

Gearz Member

woooowww MF... that.. painting.. is EXCELLENT ! I'd love to see the model sitting in front of it..

* sniff.... I wish i was an artist [looks at fistful of ratty crayons dejectedly]
  2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks like that's my cue.:mrgreen:
  3. jxn1138

jxn1138 Member

Any chance you will add cut away section add ons to this model? Like the way you did the cockpit only with exposed engine sections, etc.

You know, give me an inch, I want a mile. Great model, great painting!
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I don't know, maybe one day. I model in phases, and right now I'm in the 1:8 Mad Cat Battlemech phase. This project will be nearly %80 metal, have working non-lethal weapons(an assortment, really. Paintball guns, BB guns, and blue or green laser pointers. The ones you can see without smoke), bright white searchlights, and will be radio-controlled. I figure if the Japanese can do it, why can't I? :mrgreen:

I'm glad you guys like the painting, too. If you guys want full-size posters of it, I'll be selling them for $25 (raw painting print) and $35 (full technical details) right after I take it to Wichita, Kansas to have it scanned professionally into the computer. I'll also have to put in the technical callouts and text on Saturday. It'll all be finished by Monday at the latest, because our painting class will be having the critiques for finals, and I want to have a comparison between the painting and the finished product. :)
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'm starting on it, ok? LOL I know I'm late..... What size paper was this supposed to be printed on? I printed it on 8X11 and there are some really small parts on this. Good thing I got the new magnifying light, or I would be able to do half of it.

There really need to be some windows where the cockpit fits in. I know it's not like that in the game, it just seems odd trying to build it and put in the cockpit...:eek:
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

The windows are meant to be cut out after you glue in the cockpit cieling and walls. Just use the cockpit parts as a guide. All of the parts were based on the existing Crow mesh, which means I used the wireframe to make the formers and cockpit. Line them up with the flaps under the nose and you should be fine. :)

I probably should re-size it to 1:24 scale so it's actually buildable. The way it is, you practically have to be a TWE modeler(is that the right term?) in order to assemble parts of this.

It's meant for 8 1/2 x 11.
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Yeah, that would be great. 1:24th scale would help. what size is it now? I printed the existing model up to "fit to page" and there are a lot of small parts. Should I try and start on it as is, or wait for the new scale? Have you printed it up to look at the parts?
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

It's 1:48 scale as-is, so 1:24 will mean a model twice the size of the original 13 inch one. I did print one off with the intention of building it up, but I stopped after the hull got trashed accidently. I didn't feel like picking it up again.
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I feel ya. Let me know when the new one's ready and I'll get on it ASAP. I've got to wrap up a few things to work on the "Man Cave" and prepare for WonderFest, so I'll try and knock it out Toot Sweet!:thumb:
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Do you want me to scan the one I have and enlarge it?
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

If you want to, but I could just re-size it in Pepakura Designer and adjust the flaps to compensate for the new, large size.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Well, I can wait, just didn't want you to think I'd given up on it.:mrgreen:
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

No problem. I'll probably tackle it while I'm waiting for the steel to arrive for my Mad Cat. :cool:
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Excellent, looking forward to it.:thumb: So, are you going to build a full size version of the Mad Cat?sign1
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

No, just a 1:8 remote-controlled version. I've got the feet pretty much done as far as making the skeleton:

[​IMG]

Not much to see right now, because I ran out of appropriately-sized Steel Tec parts, but I have several eBay auctions coming in the mail with lots of big parts.

I also have a guy fabricating aluminum parts for the ankle joints. It will allow the ankles to move in all three axes.
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Whoa! Very cool, you'll definately have to keep us posted on that!
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

If you don't hear from me for awhile send it via e-mail. I'll get it done and send you the build pics.
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Hey, here's an update which is relevant to the Moldy Crow: I finished my cutaway poster! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: It's in Paint.NEt format, and I uploaded it to Rapidshare.

Here's a photo and download link:

[​IMG]

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
  19. imcold

imcold Member

Nice work on the poster... and it's really huge :D
  20. randolph carter

randolph carter New Member

wonderfull model, i will try to do the same as possible...