Moldy Crow WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

I've got a real stupid question (don't worry,I know the punchline to that joke). Nothing against the model, nothing aginst the game. However, short of letting a nav droid do all of your piloting...how do you see where you're going in this thing? If the canopy layout is correct, how do you see forward? Model looks great, though...
  2. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Not stupid at all, and in fact there's going to be an explaination whenever I finish the cutaway painting:

The way this ship is piloted is via VR goggles. Watch this video:

YouTube - (3)Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight - Leaving so soon?

While Jan is piloting the ship, she's got on these goggles. Only when the ship is parked does she take them off, and when TIE Fighters start attacking the ship she begins to put them on again. Then watch as Jan air-lifts Kyle away from Nar Shaadaa:

YouTube - (4)Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight - Kyle's vision

She also pulls her goggles over her head in this video before she starts flying. This video is als a good look at the arrangement of the cockpit.

Finally, watch the Valey of the Jedi crash sequence:

YouTube - (15)Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight -Kyle crashed the Moldy Crow

Kyle begins piloting the ship, but doesn't put the goggles on. He simply pulls the lever and drops down. Then he flips the ship over to get a look at the Valley floor, so he can see how far up he is, and as he rights the ship he knocks it's wing off, throwing the thrust off-axis and forcing the ship down.

Simple logic. :wink:
  3. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

Nice. I thought the googles just made her look cute. ;)
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

She don't need the goggles for that. . . :twisted:
  5. Gearz

Gearz Member

The UC may be a little complex, but its a clever bit of engineering MF.! can we have a short anim of the beta UC operating?

+

Holy.. itty bitty buttons Batman..! what rez are you working in .. 1280 + ? *sigh* it certainly makes META looks nice and un-crowded compared to the postage stamp i have to work in.. 800x..

:thumb::thumb:
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Yeah, around 1200x800 or so. I prefer a large work surface. :wink: I wish I could animate the landing gear, but I don't have the faintest idea of how to do that in Metasequoia, and if I did, I deleted the irrelevant parts of the model, like the main hull and engines, so it would be just the landing gear, and I'd need to find a way to merge both files so you could see it in the context of the model itself.

My art professer gave me all I need to know about the paintings in the ICS books(probably watercolor or acryllic on illustration board), so I can start on that soon. I know a lot of guys on the SWDA boards who'd want to see it.

I'll get started on unfolding the landing gear immediately, as it's at a point where it would look acceptable in 1:48 scale. If it were a larger scale, I'd probably put more detail on it, but it's not necessary for something this small(13.94 inches or 35.42 centimeters in length). One might want to provide hoses and wires to spice it up, but that's up to the builder. :)
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Would you mind if I took a shot at making the landing gear retractable? I may have an idea. Do you have a video of it deploying and can you give me a four view of just the landing gear?
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Sure! I don't have any video of it retracting, but its easy enough to figure out once you've got the model in-hand.

Here are the four views. I don't know how to get them all in one image, but this has a higher resolution than all of them together on one picture would have had, due to Photobucket's tendancy to resize images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll send you the model ASAP. :)
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Cool, I'll see what I can come up with.:thumb:
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

In the mean-time, I'm working on the Anoat City diorama. The modeling is done, so I'm posting a pic of what I've got. I'll work on the textures tonight. They're pretty simple since they are all tiled on the surface.

[​IMG]

This will be at least five different pieces: Landing area, stairs, upper level, partition, and roof. The actual level has an opening to the rest of the sewers, but I'm electing to replace it with a door so as to keep it nice and simple.
  11. wedge

wedge Member

GREAT GREAT GREAT !!!! all the day I´m only waiting for another reply from you :mrgreen:
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Beautimus! This is going to be very cool. Curious, have you ever thought of doing the hanger from Tatooine? The one where the MF is housed?

BTW, I've got a couple things worked out on the landing gear and will post a photo as soon as I can.

May the Swartz be with You......Always.sign1
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Your compliments are part of my fuel, Wedge. :mrgreen: You might say we have a symbiotic relationship. sign1

I thought about doing Docking Bay 94, but I'll wait till after I get the Dark Forces levels finished. Since I've got the original maps to work from, I will be doing them first. I can't wait to see what you come up with as far as the landing gear goes. :twisted:
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Alright, Anoat City's landing bay is finished and awaiting unfolding in Pepakura :mrgreen::

[​IMG]

Up next is Talay's landing zone.
  15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Here's what I have on the landing gear. Hope it helps.
    [​IMG]
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Well that went quick: I've unfolded Anoat City in Pepakura. Six of the pieces overlap the pages, so this will be quite a bit larger than, say, the Star Trek bridge models for download. Finished size is 26 inches(66.5 centimeters) square.

[​IMG]

Next I'll unfold the landing gear.
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

We must have posted at the same time. Check the post above.
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Huh! That's pretty nifty. :)
  19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Hope it helps, if there's anything else I can lend a hand on, let me know. :mrgreen:
  20. wedge

wedge Member

When I returned from my work ...the first thing I did was to look at your topic...than I kissed my girlffiend and said Hi :mrgreen: Anoat looks GREAT !!!