Moldy Crow WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Boy, this is taking a lot of time, mainly due to the flaps around the parts. There are a lot of round parts, and I wanted them to literally be round. So I made the number of faces around things like the hoses, antennas, guns, and tanks somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-14 faces apiece. This obviously translates to a whole lot of work. wall1

But no worries, I'll pull through okay. I've been playing Dark Forces and listening to the soundtrack I downloaded free off the internet to keep me interested in the project, and it works wonders. :thumb:

Here's a progress pic of what I've got in Pep. You can see where I'm at, up near the top on those black pieces:

[​IMG]

It will be 1:48 scale, presuming a 17-meter-long ship. The diorama, interior, and miniature Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors are next.

BTW, by a long arm of coincidence, Sprintx's Moldy Crow prints out exactly 1:48 scale.
  2. wedge

wedge Member

It is really suffering for me to wait for your model :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    It is exactly what I wanted for a long time :thumb:
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Patience is a virtue. :twisted:

I will be building up a few questionable areas to see if I need to include any special instructions. For instance, the gimballing struts are rather difficult to explain, so I'm going to provide a picture tutorial on how to assemble them. Heck, while I'm at it I might as well make an assembly guide for the entire ship, eh?
  4. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one suffering through the agonies of trying to make a highly detailed paper model and dealing with loads of teeny parts in pep.

I'm beta building my Outland Shuttle right now (see Designer's Corner thread), and it is getting to be pretty danged complex. May have to go back to the design board for a few parts. The one thing that makes this fiddly work worth it is how it looks when a section gets done. If done right (and I'm not saying I've fully achieved this yet, but...) it's hard to tell the thing's made of paper, and looks gorgeous.

Can't wait for the Crow, man. This was a game I loved and spent many many hours at.
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Well you won't have to wait much longer. I'm on a roll today, and will probably be through with the flap editing this afternoon. All I have left to do is the engines(the fins and the wings). Lost of repititious work there, seeing as how there are four identical wing engines and two identical fin engines.

Playing Dark Forces and imagining how the Moldy Crow will look when it's built for real is a great motivator, and I suggest it to anyone desiging models. Go out and watch a movie, play a game, or read a comic book that features your subject and just take it all in. :mrgreen:
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

^^^ Brilliant way of thinking. I can't wait to see this finished. Wow, you've really moved along quite quickly.:thumb:
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

You can say that again: the model is now ready for beta-testing! I just need to go out and buy a new ink cartridge. . . wall1

Here's how the layout looks:

[​IMG]

I'm now commencing the landing gear, which will replace certain parts on the model if the modeler wants them. They will be contained in a seperate Pepakura file, as will the dioramas and the cockpit(it will be the file which contains the figures).

Cheers, all! :wave:
  8. Gearz

Gearz Member

woow MF ~ "Exaggerating.. not... were you...!" Lotz of partz.. I can see why you were banging you head on the table, I bet PEP cut all those smaller parts nice and neat for you toooo.... lol... Max points for diligence!

Never fails.. some good tunes ( and the occasional fire water) always makes a dev session enjoyable and productive..

Lookin good MF..
  9. wedge

wedge Member

Very simple , but very nice Moldy crow model :)
    Alliance
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks, Wedge!

LOL, Gearz! I was ] [ that close to losing my wrist to carpal tunnel syndrome from all the flaps I had to edit! sign1

I had some extra time last night, so I built the nose landing gear.

[​IMG]

I'm working on the rear landing gear right now and should have it done soon. I just need to figure out how it folds into the hull.
  11. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Sweet. Oh so very sweet.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Nice job on the nose and landing gear. I've got to find time to sit down and learn Pep. I do love watching these things come together, it's like watching creativity in action.:mrgreen:
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Pepakura's easy, it's just so time consuming to edit all the parts so they make sense and are buildable. It's a lot more fun to do the modeling in Meta. A block here, a cylinder there, and voila'! One model, ala' creator'.

I have redesigned the landing gears to be more like a bird's claws, with a cloven front section. I'd post a pic, but I'm at college trying to kill time on their computers, and as such don't have access to the model. Too bad I didn't think to put it in a flash drive along with Pep and Meta; it would be nice to have them to tote around whenever the occasion presents itself to do some modeling.

I also went through the levels of Dark Forces and copied all the textures of the parts of the levels where the Crow is landed. I'm going to start on Anoat City first, as it's the easiest-looking one IMHO. The others are Tac Base, Imperial City, and Fuel Station Ergo(I was wrong about Ramsees Hed. The Crow isn't even seen dropping Kyle off as it is in other levels). Imperial City will be the biggest, so maybe it could also double as a display for someone's Imperial Shuttle model.
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Woohoo! You go man!:thumb: I love the idea of building a diorama to go with.

RE: Met and Pep... So, you build the models in Met and edit them in Pep...? OK, I just learned a lot. Really gonna have to go through some of the tutorials.
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks CJTK. :) Yep, I used to think that Pepakura was a design program like Rhino(this Japanese video I saw about Pepakura that implied as much didn't help either). Then I downloaded it and found out that it needs a model beforehand in order to make a paper model.

Well, crap. Somehow I lost the modification I did to the landing gear, and now I'll have to make it all over again. Luckily all I did was modify the existing design, so it's not really that much of a setback. It's just one of those things I didn't expect.

Anyway, not that I know how to make this landing gear design it'll go that much faster. Like I've been saying, no worries. :thumb:
  16. wedge

wedge Member

For this project I will wait to the end of my days :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, the landing gears are now rebuilt. And saved this time. :oops:

[​IMG]

Here are the aft landing gears:

[​IMG]

I'm trying to design a system that will allow them to stretch as far as they do. The space taken up by the extended gears is three times longer than the space they have to fold up into the hull.
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Lookin good man keep on trekkin!
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, I finally settled on a fairly complex system that would fold up into the box if it were a real set of landing gears:

[​IMG]

(Since taking that picture I have colored the rams a dark color and added doors to the landing gear bays)

It's extended fully as you can see in this pic. To fold up, the hydraulic ram at the top retracts, the lever at the bottom folds up next to the ram, and the footpad tilts forward. Complicated, but it allows the model's aft end to sit level with the front end. :) I can begin unfolding now. Expect this to be done in a couple of days, after which will come the dioramas and cockpit. I am currently working on a cutaway painting in the style of the ICS books, and I'll be using it as a reference to make the cockpit:

[​IMG]
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Wow! you're making this as detailed and interesting as any garage kit. that sketch work aint none to bad either.