Moldy Crow WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Moldy Crow finally finished!

I created the Arc Hammer a couple of days ago, and now I have decided to make a nearly accurate model of the Moldy Crow from Dark Forces as well. About the only reference I've used at this point is the loading screen. I superimposed that image onto the front and aft sections so you can see how well it's going:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I intend to use some stills from the game Jedi Knight to model the topside. Since the left side is identical to the right all I have to do is copy the parts from the right side onto the left side.
  2. Averjoe

Averjoe New Member

Very cool! I was hoping someone would do the Moldy Crow.
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Doing a good job there. Especially considering the shortage of references to work from!
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks! I've noticed that there are a lot of dfferences between this and the Jedi Knight version:

The second bar in the window tilts forward while the JK window tilts aft.

The laser cannon of the Dark Forces model is much thinner and simpler than the JK one.

The large intakes on the sides of the DF model don't stick out as far as the JK one.

There are two large conduits on the undercuts on the DF model, while there is only one on the JK model.

Finally, the textures used for the DF ship are not as detailed as the JK ship.

I'm going to use both to get the details, but I really want to replicate the look'n'feel of the Dark Forces ship.

I got a little more work done on it. Take a look:

[​IMG]
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

I'm finally finished! Now I need to start texturing the thing, which I started moments ago.

[​IMG]
  6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Looking like something worth building! What sort of size are you making this. I am assuming it's a small craft..sort of Y-Wing or slightly larger sized ... so something around 10-12" finished size would allow the detail to show, and still fit nicely on a gap I have on my shelf ;)
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

That's really looking great. I remember that ship, I played that game a few hours. LOL:thumb:
  8. jxn1138

jxn1138 Member

Man, I am psyched about this one. I love the Moldy Crow, I've tried mastering a kit of it in resin and paper, both times I got frustrated and moved on. This one looks like is coming together nicely though.

congrats!
    -Ben
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks for the comments, guys. It really helps the ego. :D

Flarebaffled: I plan on it being about 12-15 inches in length when completed. It would be big enough to show off the detail, but not too big. The actual ship is supposed to be around 17 meters long. Sounds about right when you look at the cinematics and the size of the model in the third level of Dark Forces, when it's parked at Anoat City.

JXN1138: It sure takes a love of the subject to get anything done, and I was in love with this ship from the moment I saw it on the 17" monitor of my Windows 95 computer back in '97. sign1 I assure you, I'm going to great lengths to make sure it's a good-looking model of the Moldy Crow. :thumb:

I'm working on the textures now and should have them done in the next few days. Then I can begin texturing this thing!! :D

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that when completed the joints at the wings allow it to gimbal if the modeler so desires. If he doesn't, then they can be glued in place. All you have to do to make the joints work is poke holes through them with straight pins, push the pins through, then bend them and snip off the excess. Then just squeeze them gently with a pair of pliers to increase their resistance. I would suggest reinforcing the hinge parts with superglue before attempting to assemble the joints. Also, the modeler needs to supply some black electrical wire(probably 19 gauge) to make a couple of connections between the main hull and the wings.
  10. jxn1138

jxn1138 Member

Cool, looking forward to building this ship!
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

To quote Ace Ventura: A-a-a-alrighty-then! I finally got the texturing done on this thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it's hard to see in those pics, so I brightened them up using a program called XnView:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have two options. Option 1: begin unfolding it in Pepakura and post it t the downloads section, or 2: make a small diorama and landing gears for the Crow and then unfold it and post it. I have the original Dark Forces maps, so it wouldn't be a big deal to make one or two dioramas, such as Anoat City or Ramsees Hed Docking Port, or any of the other 13 missions(well, minus the Executor and Arc Hammer missions. They didn't feature the Crow).
  12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

very nice. i built a tiny one. it be nice to see a large one.
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Before I unfolded it I figured I'd have a little fun with it. :wink:

[​IMG]
  14. Gearz

Gearz Member

Most excellent 3D work MF.... "itsgunabeabeauty" looking forward to some build pix :yep:

A diorama would look really kewl.. by the looks of the CP windows, some crew figures might be available for it as well..?

more
    more
    more
    :thumb:
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

You gotta have an interior before you have figures. :wink: I'm awaiting a set of deckplans to be made by a guy on the Star Wars Design Forums. Since he's studied the JK Crow's internals for longer than I have, I think it would be better to wait on him.

Then again, there's no reason why I can't make at least a standing Kyle figure, though he'd have to be pretty simple at 1:72 and 1:48 scale. He would have a blaster pistol, though.

I began unfolding the actual ship in Pepakura last night. I'll be doing the Anoat City and Ramsees Hed Docking Port landing zones later, as those are the only two locations that the Crow actually lands and stays at during the game. The landing gear will be made pending the set of deckplans so I can see how they fold up into the hull.
  16. wedge

wedge Member

to milleniumfalsehood : I´m the big fun of the dark forces series . There are hundreds screenshots of kyle´s crow on my HDD :-D I'm waiting without patience for your model. You are really master for me :mrgreen::thumb: You can make my dreams come truth :inw:
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

Man, I'm really seeing the bad side of detailed models in Pepakura; lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and LOTS of tiny parts! I think this thing must have at least 150 parts to it. I've been at it for two days and I haven't even scratched the surface. wall1

Thanks for the comments Wedge. Dark Forces was and still is my favorite game, and I wanted to make a Moldy Crow that looked great when finished. Have you built the Arc Hammer yet? It's in the download section.
  18. Gearz

Gearz Member

lol..yep PEP + DETAIL = Pain of Shattered Glass

Or is that

PEP+DETAIL
    Shattered Glass = PAIN

If the parts are so small that you can't distinguish panels from flaps, it might be easier to split the model into sections, and load them into PEP separately.?
  19. wedge

wedge Member

I´m working on my Apollo 15 diorama now. But I´ve downloaded it already and I´m looking forward to build it :)

I don´t know what to say...thank´s , thank´s THANK´S a LOT !!! :thumb:
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

It's not that they're small, it's that there's just so many! The vents are all seperate pieces.

You're welcome, Wedge. It's truly my pleasure. :thumb: