Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by sumpter250, Jan 30, 2002.
I'll try to post this pic of the center module, which is a navigable inlet.
Looks very nice! What scale is that and does it represent any particular era?
Of course, you realize that since you showed a picture of part of your layout, you are required to show the rest! (Don't believe me? I suggest you re-read your membership contract! )
sumpter250, it looks great!BDC (head of our legal dept.) is right, you have to post pics of the rest(you gotta watch out for the fine print in these contracts).
BDC, Tyson Rayles,
Second, It's HO scale
Third, What rest?
OK! OK! it's the middle 2'X4'module of a three module set. The module to the right of it looks like:
I love the bridges...especially the verticle-lift drawbridge.
Are you in a modular club?
Did you build both of these?
Very nice indeed! How did you do the trees?
That's a magnificent job you did of those modules. I'm crying my eyes out because I do don't have the ability to imagineer scenes like those or the skill to create them with the realism you have acheived.
You have top drawer museum quality in those modules... congratulations.
I'll get on with my dreaming
I especially like the barge? that's tied up on the river bank in the first shot. I think that and the vertical lift bridge 'make' the scene. Second photo is very nice as well! Are you concentrating on a particular area of the country or any RR?
If you look really close you'll realize that the vertical lift is actually four Atlas bridge kits. The towers are Atlas pier girders. The only real work here was the lift mechanism, and that was made up of some waterpump castings, and GrandtLine 43" cable sheaves.
The arch bridge, is three Life Like scenemaster kits wit the original decks removed, bracing and stringers are Plastruc "I" beams.
The double through truss bridge is a Campbell kit, the "trestle/bridge" behind it was scratchbuilt in place. The upper level is dual gauge, though only narrow gauge equipment runs up there at this time.
I belong to the Lake County Society of Modular Engineers. We aren't a club, no dues,no officers,no fights, just set up for shows and have fun.
All the deciduous trees are scratch built. After selecting,or building a trunk armature, I add expanded Woodlnd Scenice Polyfiber.(and I do mean expanded). once all the finer branch structure is done,colored if requird, spray with Testor's GLOSSCOTE (no I haven't seen the shine on the trees yet),and, using a small flour sifter,sift Woodland Scenics coarse turf over,the wet glosscote. repeat until the tree is "thick"enough.
Most of the pines came from Heki/Faller. These are "bottlebrush"
trees three to a package. I "butcher" these to make them look more natural,usually adding a little more green.(same process).
When the package of coarse turf won't sift out any more leaves, what's left goes on the ground.
I'll bet you have the ability, you just have to realize that I've been developing the skills over 40+ years. What you see in these pics is the result of 14 years of work, every new show,I'd add four or five new trees, and some other piece of detail.
I was not, and would never be a rivet counter, but, to "create with realism" is to "start counting rivets". Maybe not all of them, but the important ones at least. To avoid being a pain in the ------
I try to remember that there is a major difference between a "rivet counter", and counting rivets.
My intention, with these modules, was to model a Northeastern
feel. There have been significant changes, removals, replacements
and relocations over the years, to achieve that feel. I am starting a new three module set wich will specificly model details of the coast of Maine.
The "barge" is actually an abandoned tug. This was a "recent"
project in the history of the modules.
When the October 1997 issue of Railfan & Railroad hit the stands, I was attracted by the cover photo which included the derelict former C&O tugboat "W.J.Harahan". What caught my attention was the similarity to the Revell Harbor Tug kit. I bought the copy of the magazine, and that night compared the photo with the kit and realized they were very close. So,, I built the kit as the derelict, and sunk it in place on the modules.
It doesn't stop here though. The coastal freighter, behind the tug, was a Lindberg North Atlantic Fishing Trawler kit. The whole scene had been rebuilt specificly for that ship, but the kitbash had been sitting on the shelf for almost five years. I had lost interest. With the Revell tug's pilothouse and stack in hand, the light came on! I got the freighter out, ripped off the full width curved wood pilothouse, cut a piece of card stock to cover the hole, and set the tug pilothouse in place. It gave the freighter the exact character I had really wanted from the beginning, and I proceded to finish the freighter project, soldered brass railings and all.
Not to seem greedy, but where is your post of the LEFT module?
Your modules are terrific! And I'd like to see the LEFT one, too!
OK, HEEEERE'S...........left side.
I guess I still need to learn how to attach TWO images...
I'm still drooling !!!!!
here's the left/center junction. I don't have any other images at this time.
Well, it was worth the wait! Next time, don't be so shy! I really like the way you have that station set up. I really like passenger stations...
I do have a project underway to add about 16" to the front of the center module, in order to incorporate a "seaport" type scene, oh all right!, to show off a ship model I did many years ago.
I needed a ships chandler's building, and a shipwrights shed, so I'm kitbashing two of the Atlas station kits into a two story building without the bay windows.
It has reached the point where if I buy a plastic kit at the local hobby shop, they expect me to also buy a new razor saw blade so I can complete the building.