Modular track plan... planning...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If you choose to deviate, you can (as you noted) build a transition module with your interface at one end, and the NTrak standard at the other end.

However, you will likely want to follow the minimum radius guidelines, and the wiring practices. That way the major deviation is really the placement of track - that means that everything that rolls on a standard NTrak module will operate on yours - essential when you take them out to a meet!

Andrew

BrianK

May 1, 2006
Texas
Will do. I've ordered the in-depth Ntrak manual and plan to follow it as close as possible and only change the placement of track as you mentioned. I'm still trying to think of different ways to achieve the look I want and sticking to the full Ntrak standard but having to have two main lines and one branch line is killing me. We'll see... I'm not going to worry about it until I get the manual and can see exactly what the standards are.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I am lucky that the modular club in my area has two standards - one for "conventional" with a double mainline near the front of the module, and a "free-mo" standard with a single main running down the centre of the module.

Since I am modelling the 1920s and 30s in fictional rural town in Southern Ontario, I am glad I do not have to build to the double main standard. I like those little mixed trains that took their time with the LCL deliveries, and allowed passengers to hop off and on between stops.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Brian,

Unfortunately, my modules are still under construction (there is a lot of other stuff going on right now...! :rolleyes:). However, I am not short of plans (see Marlpost in the Modular Forum) or structures and rolling stock - which I have been amassing/building for a couple of years now! I also have all the track and roadbed I need - it is just a matter of finding time for some carpentry... ;)

I am building my modules to the standards found at www.hotrak.ca.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
BrianK said:
Will do. I've ordered the in-depth Ntrak manual and plan to follow it as close as possible and only change the placement of track as you mentioned. I'm still trying to think of different ways to achieve the look I want and sticking to the full Ntrak standard but having to have two main lines and one branch line is killing me. We'll see... I'm not going to worry about it until I get the manual and can see exactly what the standards are.

I don't think I would worry about trying to make modules for a home layout that fit ntrak standards. Virtually all of the ntrak layouts I've seen at shows run two mainlines and a branchline that looks like a third mainline, and a mountain division. If you are trying to build something near prototypical, unless your modeling the Pennsy at Horse Shoe curve, you will have difficulty fitting all of those tracks in. I think it would be better to build the layout you want at home, and make a separate module if you want to participate with a modular club or ntrak set up at a show. That being said, I picked up a copy of the Ntrak manual even though I model in ho. It has some good ideas for building industrial switching areas to the rear of the module on some of the offered track plans.