Modular question

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I have a slight dilema with regard to a modular layout I am currrently putting together.

The problem is the storage space I have in which to store 7 modules that are each 4' x 30". The structures that I am using on each module take up a large amount of space height-wise as I have to store each module above the others in a small closet.

Is there any reason why I cannot have removable structures that I will have to set-up and take down each time the layout is moved?

Having removable structures seems like a logical solution to my problem but I am not sure if I am missing something that may cause more problems.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Sounds like a good plan to me Jeff. I have removable structures that disguise some hidden track. I just remove them for access. I guess my only advice would be to make pretty durable structures without a lot of fragile details that can withstand handling.
Good luck!
Ralph

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Removable Structures...

I remember reading an article where the structures were removable by way of metal pins on the bottom of the structure, leaving the building base (foundation) on the layout. That way, it was possible to "plant" the building base, and avoid the large gap between building and ground. Some even had integral electrical connections allowing lighting.

I think that if I had a constantly moving layout that I would go this way.:)

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
I would also go that way. All of my structures are removable also. I have gone to mounting my structures on foam board bases which I scenic so that they don't look removable. in most cases you can not tell where the joint for the foam board is. (fences, road edges, etc usually hide it well.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Jeff, did you see my post in the N/Z scale listing on 10-12-2002. "Two more puzzle pieces done"? It ties in with my post of 7-31-02, "Puzzle pieces", where I laid out my entire town on a sheet of 1/8" thick plywood. I cut out each building lot so as to have a piece to complete a little diorama on each building. The 1/8" thick plywood was the thickness of the cork roadbed and I was able to tie a spur line, directly off the cork, into the town. Worked out great in that I did not have to bend and work over my layout. I was going to leave them loose and set them in place after setting up my modules when they were shown. Decided against it and glued each section onto the layout as I completed them. Too little time to be unpacking and trying to set up during a show. This may be a way to help in your dilemma.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
There are obviously several issues I need to deal with besides the one of storage space - which is the governing factor.

I assume that if I build each structure as a portable item, I need to figure out how I will attach it to the benchwork each time I set up.

The placement of each structure is not a problem but I can see that I need to somehow create a "base" on which to I can affix each structure and then how to "mask" that base from being too obvious.

I figured each structure would have to be more or less sturdy in design but since I will be the only one handling the set up that should not be too much of an issue.

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
Originally posted by babydot94513
I gave up on the idea of removable structures due to the complexity of dealing with the electrical connections associated with lighting each structure.

I would just put in plugs for each structure (phono plugs work well).