Modular decoders?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Hello!

i want to put sound in my locomotives, but i don't have the kind of money for that. is it possible to buy a decoder thats cheap now, and then buy an attachment or speaker up grade for it later? or do i either buy a normal decoder or a sound decoder?

Gary Pfeil

You can buy a low cost decoder of your choice now, and add a sound only Soundtrax decoder later. I don't have any of those Soundtrax decoders so can't tell how good they are, lots of people on the Soundtrax list like them. Myself, I'd be inclined to swap decoders around, if I added sound to a loco with a regular decoder, I'd use that one in another loco, never having sound in all my locos. I have too many!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
You can use the sound only decoders as an add on to a "regular" decoder, but you will need extra space for that. The all in one generic diesel or steam decoders from SoundTraxx are not that expensive (or at least not as expensive as they were ;)). They are a good option to try to see if you like the idea enough to invest more $$$.

Andrew

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I have an Atlas B40-8 i'd like to put sound in ( it already has structures to hold speakers in the frame), but chances are, sound will be a bit to expensive for me to handle, which is why i ask.

also i heard you can download engine sounds for soundtraxx. is that true?

Gary Pfeil

I've heard that you can download sound to the as yet unreleased Digitrax sound decoders. You can not to any Soundtrax decoder, at least none that I'm aware of. There are decoders by Loksound you can download sound to as well, but I know little about them.