Modelling an N-Scale SD75I

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Agatheron, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Did some trainwatching today... the local Canadian National yard was pulling together a train with two SD75I's in a consist, and a third one that looked like it was about to be put into service. I know that Kato makes the SD70Mac, but the SD75I's seem to be a variant with some differences in the body.

How much scratching and bashing might be needed to produce at least a reasonably accurate SD75I model in N-Scale.

Here's the SD70Mac unit from Kato in BNSF colours:
    [​IMG]

Here's an example of the SD75I in the red and silver BNSF colours:
    [​IMG]

And finally, the CN SD75I that could be something to model after:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? Is it enough to start with an undecorated SD70Mac shell?
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It looks to me like you need to add a couple of battery boxes on the left side on the walkway behind the cab, and the small square grille at the back. I don't know what is needed on the right side, no rightside view of the model.
  3. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

From what I understand, the right side of the model and the actually SD75I are even closer in appearance than they are on the left. Chances are I'd only have to add the small grille at the back.

I've done model conversions before, but on a larger scale. Any suggestions on what I might use? So starting with the SD70Mac is a good starting point?

I don't know the actual specification differences between the two. Maybe that's a research project for today...
  4. nscalesteve

nscalesteve Member

...I've started with some SD70MAC and some SD60M parts to build this SD75 in n-scale with the right lenght of 72'4" (the SD70MAC is 74') cab, trucks, fueltank from the Kato SD70MAC, chassis, gears, shell from Atlas SD60M...

[​IMG]
  5. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Hm... Kato SD70Mac + Atlas SD60 = SD75I?

Interesting... Although admittedly my own non-existent bitz box would need a bit of help on this one. You mentioned that the SD75I is slightly shorter than the 70MAC. It works out to about 1/8" in N-Scale. Is the 2'6" difference on the prototype in the main trunk of the locomotive or in the positioning of the trucks, or some other place on the body? Would trimming 1/8" off of the shell make it too small to fit back over the frame for the Kato SD70Mac motor?

I'll have to do some investigating once I return from my holidays. I may be investing in an Undecorated Kato SD70mac...
  6. nscalesteve

nscalesteve Member

...the drive is from the SD60M not from the SD70MAC as you can see on this pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Thanks for those pics of your kitbash... certainly helpful for me... I'm now looking for an SD70Mac... and probably an Atlas SD60...