Modelling an N-Scale SD75I

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Did some trainwatching today... the local Canadian National yard was pulling together a train with two SD75I's in a consist, and a third one that looked like it was about to be put into service. I know that Kato makes the SD70Mac, but the SD75I's seem to be a variant with some differences in the body.

How much scratching and bashing might be needed to produce at least a reasonably accurate SD75I model in N-Scale.

Here's the SD70Mac unit from Kato in BNSF colours:
176-6401-500.jpg

Here's an example of the SD75I in the red and silver BNSF colours:
8276.JPG

And finally, the CN SD75I that could be something to model after:
cn5760b.jpg

Thoughts? Is it enough to start with an undecorated SD70Mac shell?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It looks to me like you need to add a couple of battery boxes on the left side on the walkway behind the cab, and the small square grille at the back. I don't know what is needed on the right side, no rightside view of the model.

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Visit site
From what I understand, the right side of the model and the actually SD75I are even closer in appearance than they are on the left. Chances are I'd only have to add the small grille at the back.

I've done model conversions before, but on a larger scale. Any suggestions on what I might use? So starting with the SD70Mac is a good starting point?

I don't know the actual specification differences between the two. Maybe that's a research project for today...

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Visit site
Hm... Kato SD70Mac + Atlas SD60 = SD75I?

Interesting... Although admittedly my own non-existent bitz box would need a bit of help on this one. You mentioned that the SD75I is slightly shorter than the 70MAC. It works out to about 1/8" in N-Scale. Is the 2'6" difference on the prototype in the main trunk of the locomotive or in the positioning of the trucks, or some other place on the body? Would trimming 1/8" off of the shell make it too small to fit back over the frame for the Kato SD70Mac motor?

I'll have to do some investigating once I return from my holidays. I may be investing in an Undecorated Kato SD70mac...