Modeling water with glass part 2

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Okay, since I installed the glass I wanted to get a little more waves on the 'water's surface. I Bought some epoxy resin called EnviroTex Lite pour-on High gloss finish. Does anyone have experience with this or something simular? I have heard that if you mix more hardener into it it will ripple like waves. Does anyone have any other methods of making this stuff wavy? also How would you go about making a dam so this wouldn't run off and all over my new carpet? Will masking tape do the job or will the epoxy resin run right through the tape adheisive?

F

Fred_M

I can answer a couple of them questions. Masking tape is out. It's basically going to take the same engineering to hold it as it would water for 12 hours. I used a piece of plexiglass glued on with silicone and screwed to the wood, the second time. Envirotex is designed to be self leveling and is going to be hard to get waves in. I also question if you will have good long term adhesion to glass? I bet it will seperate from the glass and leave a void over time. I heard if you putting in more hardner makes it gets really hot during curing and can cause it to crack later. I think I would try a 15 min clear epoxy and a notched trowel or such to put waves in it. Good luck. Fred

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks Fred. I guess I've gone too far with the glass to change anything, especially since I have glued the pier onto the glass and I doubt I could get it back off without damage to either the pier or the glass. I figure I'll just cover the water with a barge and/or tugboat and be done with it.

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Try using an acrylic gloss medium from the craft store near you. This will allow you to add in surface texture, yet it will dry clear. It does go on white, but leaves a realistic and very wet looking clear gloss texture behind.

I have used the Liquitex brand with good results.

Eric

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Glen, I have seen fast drying polyurathane "blown" into waves with a hair dryer. It looked pretty convincing, although I don't know what was under the poly. Mabye you could get a spare piece of glass and do some experiments with the Enviro-tec and some other stuff.