modeling rock faces

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by mike franks, Dec 16, 2001.

1. mike franks

mike franks New Member

If I want to model rock faces with spackling, would aluminum foil wrinkled up work? or whats my best option?
  2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Mike,
    I've used spackling to represent paved roads, & to fill gaps, & such, but I'm not sure that it would be a good material for representing a rock.
    My favorite material for making rock faces is hydrocal plaster, or plaster of paris.
    Lately what I've done is wait until the plaster thickens up a little, & just glob it on to the spot where I want the outcropping. When that has set up, I take a skrew driver, & drag it across the plaster, cutting striations, & broken places in the rock.
    To paint the rock, I always start with rubbing alcohol, & India ink in a spray bottle. This makes a black wash that gets down into all the cracks & crevices. Then I color the rock further by lightly brushing on various earth-colored acrylics, ranging from dark brown, all the way up to white. Remember, a little color goes a long way.
    I have used tin foil for making rock molds, pouring the plaster into the mold, & slapping the mold down where you want it, & letting it set up before eremoving the mold. Painting is done the same way, regardless of which method you use.
  3. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Woodland Scenic Rock Molds

MIke:

I agree with Charlie about using plaster. I use plaster with Woodland Scenics molds. They work great! Here is their web site: www.woodlandscenics.com

Here are some smples.

Andy

Attached Files:

4. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

My layout

Here is a plaster rock on my layout.

Andy

Attached Files:

5. mike franks

mike franks New Member

Thanks guys, thats a big help. Especially with the painting ideas
  6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Mike,
    I just re-read my reply to you, & I wasn't real clear on that black wash.
    If you're not familiar with India Ink, it's liquid black ink, & you can find it in office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot, etc...)
    I mix my black wash in a little 8oz. spray bottle, with about 8 or 10 drops of ink to 8oz. rubbing alcohol.
  7. mike franks

mike franks New Member

Thanks Charlie, That probably would have been another question a little bit later on. I appreciate it.
  8. Railery

Railery Member

Hi Mike,
    All those ideas are great. i found a spray paint that looks like real rock when painted on the surface. Its called Speckle Stone, by Crown. U should be able to get it in hardware store. i can get mine at Revy and Home Depot. Its main use is for fire places. Still u should use india ink or paint to prime your surface before puting on.
    Greg.
  9. mike franks

mike franks New Member

Thanks Greg,for the information. I bought one rock mold the other day, works real well, as long as I can be patient. Tommorrow night I'm gonna try a cast in aluminum foil to vary my rocks. I appreciate all the great information guys. THANKS