Modeling dirt roads

fseva

Nov 27, 2006
In Dave Frary's latest scenery book, he recommends "baseball diamond dirt" for modeling dirt roads. Here in the midwest, we have rain and are expecting it to change to snow. So, I'm not really in the mood to hunt down a ball diamond. So, I was wondering if there is a commercially available product that would be a good substitute?

fseva

Nov 27, 2006
railroader9731 said:
i myself used real sifted earth/sand
Well, like I explained, it's not in the cards right now to go out to collect earth/sand. So, I'm hoping someone can tell me of a product available at the home center/hardware store that would do the job.

BTW, what do you use to hold your mix down, and doesn't it turn it into mud?

rfmicro

Sep 24, 2006
Frank,

You might try your local nursary for bags of sand and/or dirt for your road. Sifting it should give you fine soil for use on the road. The larger pieces from the sifting operation can be used in other places such as river banks, side of the road(s), and so forth. I think both Dave Frary's and Paul Scole's latest DVDs indicate thiis even though they went out into the warm environs to obtain their dirt..

Regards,
Trent

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I use paver sand.

horse_grass.jpg

I have articles at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/4x8/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

fseva

Nov 27, 2006
I've seen your work before!

hminky said:
I use paver sand.

horse_grass.jpg
I've seen your photo, somewhere! Nice work, and now I remember about "Paver Sand"... I think you have an article on your website about it. Gonna visit there right now!