Modeling A Dirt Road Or Path

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Now that I've giotten the Marksberry Feed Co. in its new home on the layout, I'm doing some of the surrounding scenery...I wanted to depict a dirt track running from the main road, around to the rear prtion of the structure...
I use sifted dirt for ground cover, but since I model in N scale, it tends to be rather coarse...not very well suited for a dirt road as is...
(the white area is where another structure will be)

Attachments

• drtrd1.jpg
    drtrd1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 225

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I had read about this technique several years ago in MR, but had never tried it...
I bonded the sifted dirt with 50/50 white glue & water, & waited until it had dried thoroughly for 24 hrs...then I took a small piece of sand paper, & simply sanded a path into the dirt...

Attachments

• drtrd2.jpg
    drtrd2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 232

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I think this worked pretty well...
Here's a view from a lower angle...

Attachments

• drtrd3.jpg
    drtrd3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 222

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
Looks Good

Thanks for the tip Charlie, good show. I to was wondering how to do that for N scale, I have used sandpaper for the lanes and then chalked the h--- out of it. Not bad, but yours looks great. I will try it. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :wave:

C

Catt

If the dirt is thick enough you could run an N scale truck over it wikk just enough pressure to leave tracks.Once the dirt is dry you sand it and end looking like Charlie's great work but with tire tracks .

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Charlie that looks great,the addition of tire ruts would just add another demention of detail. I been fooling around with sanded grout for my dirt and found a color that I like alot and am wondering how you got yours down in such a nice even fashion? I sprinkled mine with a small spoon and then wet the area, a little trowel work and viola'.The tire tracks are going to be the next challenge for me maybe a small piece of wood sanded with a notch spread far enough apart and then use it like sand paper.I'd love some other opinions and /or idea's.Pat

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Originally posted by Charlie
...I use sifted dirt for ground cover, but since I model in N scale, it tends to be rather coarse...not very well suited for a dirt road as is...

Even as far up as O scale, I've noticed the exact same thing, Charlie. Even strained as finely as possible, dirt still seems to look like 1:1 dirt, not scale dirt.

This looks like a brilliant solution, and I can't wait to try it. Many thanks! :) :thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
As usual, just when I think I am having a problem with my next project, someone form The Gauge has the solution!

Thanks Charlie - I will be using this for my area around the team track and coal dealer.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Charlie,

I have a "dirt" road I made from sifted sawdust. It does appear a bit corse for N scale so I tried your idea on a part of it. What an improvement. It looks so much more to scale and more natural.

Your new grandson has a good teacher and role model. Thanks.

Lemur

Jul 15, 2002
Yorkville, Illinois
Visit site
Cool! I’ll have to give that a try. I was wondering how to do this as well.
Another problem I had was in one corner of my lay out I have a few archaeologists working on a site near the main line, but could not find any realistic looking dirt for them to be digging in. I ended up using some of the fine dust created while sanding down cork roadbed. On my budget, I try to find a use for everything! Nothing goes to waste. :p