charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Model: Sd Kfz 163 Sturmgeschutz IV
Publisher: Modelik, 14/02
Scale: 1:25
Format: A4 booklet
Designer: Waldemar Rychard

The StuG IV was a hybrid of the superstructure of a StuG III dropped into the chassis of a Panzer IV. This apparently was a forced solution because the factory producing the StuG III was destroyed in an air raid. Originally the StuGs were intended as mobile infantry fire support but also proved very useful as tank destroyers. There is, apparently, a lack of historical photos of the StuG IV so many of ideas about these vehicles are inferences based on contemporary StuG IIIs.

Twelve pages of cardstock, 4 pages of frames and roll up parts on 80gsm, 1 page of Polish instructions and vehicle history and 3 pages of construction diagrams and additional diagrams on some of the parts pages. The instructions are reasonable (based on the disgrams) although I found that some of the diagrams were very small and it took a while to figure out what the component referred to was.

Print quality is excellent, very fine lines and accurate colour registration.
The model represents a StuG of the 249th StuG Brigade - Eastern Front 1944. The colour is probably about right for dunkelgelb. There is no weathering or shading on the model.

As with Modelik's Hummel there is a partial interior. Parts are provided to model the engine and transmission. As I've noted before with the Hummel this isn't a modelled interior but something underneath the hatches.

The suspension and tracks appear to be accurately modelled and not surprisingly look identical to the Hummel model. There is a choice of building the tracks from 2 bands of card or built up from individual links.
The suspension modelling is one of the best I've seen of the Panzer IV - it seems reasonably easy to assemble and looks startlingly accurate.

The usual Panzer collection of tools and engine bay grills are both modelled. It has always struck me as odd that German vehicles were festooned with tools whereas the Russians did the obvious and simple thing and provided a box on the hull to store the tools. Admittedly the toolkit for a T-34 didn't have to be an extensive as most Panzers (but I digress).

The superstructure is pretty much like a late StuG III - the model of the mantlet looks pretty good. This StuG had the "saukopf - pig's snout" type
mantlet like the JagdPanther. (I know "saukopf" is inaccurate but describes the shape well). Only the barrel of the 75mm L/48 gun is modelled since there is no interior of the fighting compartment. The pop up shield with an MG42 is modelled - I can't determine whether this is an optional part or not. The late StuG IIIs usually had a layer of concrete over the front of the driver's compartment - it's probable the StuG IV had similar but this isn't modelled.

Overall the StuG IV is not far short of the standard of the later Hummel model but much better than the Modelik Panzer IV Ausf G. I wonder if Modelik is going to continue with the Panzer IV derivatives I guess a Brumbar and Jagdpanzer IV 70 would be good additions to the range.

I don't think this is a beginner's model but should be fine for someone with some experience.

Instructions: B (based on the diagrams - some of these were difficult to comprehend)
Paper quality: B
Level of detail: A
Printing quality: A
Artwork: B (weathering would be nice)
Value for money: B
Skill level: Intermediate to expert