Modelik 2004/04, Sdkfz 2, NSU "Krettenkrad", 1:25

Z

Zathros

This is one of my favorite vehicles of all time. When I was very young, I met a Master Machinist of German descent who was an incredible BMW motorcycle mechanic. He made one of these out of scratch, out of metal. As this was the eaarly 1970's, he was met with scorn. I wish I got to know him better, he was older and had obviously been through WWII. I asked him once to show me his creation and he went into great detail how the steering would slip clutches on the tracks and that the front wheel was meant to help go over large obstacles, such as tree trunks etc. I was also amazed how fast these vehicles could go, and also how slow. They were also used for positioning aircraft and would have had to been highly controllable for such a delicate task. I will be following this wonderful iconic vehicle.

I thank you for sharing the build here! I always admired this picture, it shows what a work horse this thing was. In the movie "Saving Private Ryan" there are some great scenes showing this vehicle moving about, and showing it moving along really fast!

Ketten2009crop.jpg

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
János, You always surprise me for good with you choices!
This old model from Modelik is great. Some day I will build it myself
And I know it will look very interesting near big tanks, in same scale :)
Good luck with new one!