ModelArt MiG-3

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by mmshotin, Apr 15, 2007.

1. mmshotin

mmshotin Member

Thanks for warm words
    List of Fly and self-made additions:
    - cockpit frames, levers, seat-belt buckles, etc.
    - landing gear, gear covers, gear wheels
    - spotlight
    - guns barrels and pitot from syringe needle
    Some difficulties waits during landing gear attachment to wings, I completely rework kit-suggested solution. Also it's hard to make the wings cowls.
  2. mmshotin

mmshotin Member

Thanks for warm words
    List of Fly and self-made additions:
    - cockpit frames, levers, seat-belt buckles, etc.
    - landing gear, gear covers, gear wheels
    - spotlight
    - guns barrels and pitot from syringe needle
    Some difficulties waits during landing gear attachment to wings, I completely rework kit-suggested solution. Also it's hard to make the wings cowls.
  3. Wily

Wily Member

<S>!

Emil is an excellent designer and you're an excellent builder.
  4. Wily

Wily Member

<S>!

Emil is an excellent designer and you're an excellent builder.
  5. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

There isn't much left to say except I hope some day to be as good a builder as you. Great workmanship on that project. Your photos are excellent too.

John
  6. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

There isn't much left to say except I hope some day to be as good a builder as you. Great workmanship on that project. Your photos are excellent too.

John
  7. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

mmshotin,

About the stand . . . again. Does the plane just sit on the stand, or did you have to cut into the model to make it hold?

I had a think last night about this, and some of the comments reinforce the idea. I want to make a "flying" version of my next prop plane, i.e. gear up, pilot (thanks to Gremir's freebee), and a "moving" propeller. I did a quick experiment cutting circles of out accetate (clear foil). Has anyone else done something similar, any ideas?
  8. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

mmshotin,

About the stand . . . again. Does the plane just sit on the stand, or did you have to cut into the model to make it hold?

I had a think last night about this, and some of the comments reinforce the idea. I want to make a "flying" version of my next prop plane, i.e. gear up, pilot (thanks to Gremir's freebee), and a "moving" propeller. I did a quick experiment cutting circles of out accetate (clear foil). Has anyone else done something similar, any ideas?
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Fiddler's Green had a bunch of spinning discs to be printed on clear overhead projection printable acetate. They looked fairly convincing, but I saw an article in Fine Scale Modeler magazine a few years back that had a method of takeing clear plastic, chucking it in a Dremel and streaking it with some type of paint in a pattern that really simulated a spinning prop.
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Fiddler's Green had a bunch of spinning discs to be printed on clear overhead projection printable acetate. They looked fairly convincing, but I saw an article in Fine Scale Modeler magazine a few years back that had a method of takeing clear plastic, chucking it in a Dremel and streaking it with some type of paint in a pattern that really simulated a spinning prop.
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Excellent, clean job. Nice touch on using that mesh!

Rick
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Excellent, clean job. Nice touch on using that mesh!

Rick
  13. mmshotin

mmshotin Member

I used a nail as pin on top of stand (glued into hole by superglue). Little barbaric, but effective.

The idea with prop plane in flight configuration is pretty good and used to be not very compicated to built. Rotated propeller may be simply done using small electro-engine with battery :)
  14. mmshotin

mmshotin Member

I used a nail as pin on top of stand (glued into hole by superglue). Little barbaric, but effective.

The idea with prop plane in flight configuration is pretty good and used to be not very compicated to built. Rotated propeller may be simply done using small electro-engine with battery :)
  15. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

mmshotin,

The motor and battery would give a spinning prop, but I was thinking of something that only looks like a spinning prop. :) I tried a pen on acetate, meh! Aweful! It's too "heavy". I have been looking at some of the pictures on Mission4today and simmers Paintshop, and the look is more subtle. Over lunch I tried scuffing the acetate with fine wet and dry over where the prop should be. Doesn't look to bad. I think I would also need to lightly scuff the entire disk though.

Cmdrted, thanks for the tip. I shall check out Fiddler's Green (looks like someone had the idea before me!) The Dremel idea seems difficult, they spin rather fast, and adding paint would give a spiral, wouldn't it? I am also reminded on the guy who put CDs on a Dremel and sent them all over the place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cKxtZz-6w

Using a battery and a few lights in the machinegun ports (tiny leds?) would also look cool. Firing guns!:-D

But, mmshotin, I am highjacking your thread! You have made a beautiful model, and I can only repeat John's comments that one day I can built as good as you!
  16. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

mmshotin,

The motor and battery would give a spinning prop, but I was thinking of something that only looks like a spinning prop. :) I tried a pen on acetate, meh! Aweful! It's too "heavy". I have been looking at some of the pictures on Mission4today and simmers Paintshop, and the look is more subtle. Over lunch I tried scuffing the acetate with fine wet and dry over where the prop should be. Doesn't look to bad. I think I would also need to lightly scuff the entire disk though.

Cmdrted, thanks for the tip. I shall check out Fiddler's Green (looks like someone had the idea before me!) The Dremel idea seems difficult, they spin rather fast, and adding paint would give a spiral, wouldn't it? I am also reminded on the guy who put CDs on a Dremel and sent them all over the place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cKxtZz-6w

Using a battery and a few lights in the machinegun ports (tiny leds?) would also look cool. Firing guns!:-D

But, mmshotin, I am highjacking your thread! You have made a beautiful model, and I can only repeat John's comments that one day I can built as good as you!
  17. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

Hi mmshotin and all,
    I’m impressed!
    I know that I designed the pro version of the MiG 3 kit as a challenge even to expert builders. I’m impressed of the correct assemblage of so difficult parts like the nose armament and air intakes.
    Perfect!
    Best regards,
    Emil
    P.S. Just go on…
  18. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

Hi mmshotin and all,
    I’m impressed!
    I know that I designed the pro version of the MiG 3 kit as a challenge even to expert builders. I’m impressed of the correct assemblage of so difficult parts like the nose armament and air intakes.
    Perfect!
    Best regards,
    Emil
    P.S. Just go on…
  19. mmshotin

mmshotin Member

Thanks, Emil! Your opinion is a honor for me.
    Also thanks for the great kit, I had no any problems with part's accuracy. I assemled this plane with a pleasure.
  20. mmshotin

mmshotin Member

Thanks, Emil! Your opinion is a honor for me.
    Also thanks for the great kit, I had no any problems with part's accuracy. I assemled this plane with a pleasure.