Model Train Newbie seeks advice

Ravensfan

Oct 16, 2002
planet earth
Visit site
Originally posted by 60103

Three rules:
Make sure that the set you buy is expandible (If you go HO or On3, no problem.)
The smaller the boy, the bigger the toy.
Check that the stuff you buy is repairable. For years the cheapest sets were rivetted together and spare parts weren't available so when the gears stripped, the loco was thrown away.

Thanks for the tips.

TR,

At this point, scale probably won't matter since this year will essentially be the "test" year. If it doesn't match up correctly, then we'll do something different next year - like get a bigger scale train to match the Dept 56 stuff :D and let me start a project with the set we get this year.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
did I say anything about S gauge?
I was running an S scale layout at the train show last spring. (not mine).
British S scale, only commercial parts were HO rails and the axleboxes.
(Ravensfan, this is off topic. Sorry.)

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
60103 & Ravensfan:
My humble apologies to you both for digressing into a personal crusade. I shall redouble my efforts to curb my zealotry for all things American Flyer. I assure you 60103 it was all in jest, just sticking up for my gauge on "The-Gauge". We're a minor minority here, and,.... as a matter of fact,....most everywhere..........sigh.

But, even the dinosaurs actually survived. Just grew feathers!

Trains......feathers?.......hmmm.

Ted

ANo10

Sep 1, 2002
Midland, Texas
Visit site
TR-Flyer

"Trains...Feathers..." How about trains and dinosaurs??

I believe John Allen was the first to put a T-Rex on his layout.

Jim

modelling the Lizard Creek Timber Company

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Jim:
I had never seen the dinosaur in the mountain shot before. That's great! I may have to steal it since it fits in so well with my "extinct" flyer layout. A friend of mine is creating a Sinclair fuel depot and has picked up a few Sinclair dinosaurs that fit the scale of our layout, and a fog machine. Want to have the dinosaurs mingling with the storage tanks. It's kind of reverse engineering the natural process of creating petroleum.

Yes, we live in our own little world.

Ted

ANo10

Sep 1, 2002
Midland, Texas
Visit site
Found that at Hobby Lobby in the kid's science toy section, it's even prototypical HO Scale. Throw back to old college days and dinosaur dig.

A friend's four year old ask where I got my lizard (LOL) so....

Love the idea of the Sinclair Dino's and fog machine.

And yes we do create our own "little" worlds...

Have a good day RR'ing!!!

Jim

Modelling Lizard Creek Timber Company

Ravensfan

Oct 16, 2002
planet earth
Visit site
Just want to say thanks for all the input I got from "Gaugers" in response to this topic.

I ended up getting a Bachmann starter set with the EZ track - a 36" circle that fits perfectly around the base of the Christmas tree - I have a tall, narrow tree. My wife already mentioned that we need to get a train station to set up along the track to make it look more authentic.

Thanks again, folks.