Model the real thing

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
How many modelers actually model a specific railroad down to the actual scratch building of the necessary structures to the original setting. Using a photograph of the prototype setting and modelling it, down to the last detail.
---------
If you have, why not show both the prototype and model photographs.

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi, Shamus.
What you speak of is what I'm aiming for,but in Nscale, unless the Barn someone has mentioned shows up..I would love to see the results of your query, and also to learn as much as possible of techniques, materials,etc.
I'm already working on a scale map of the Main Line, branches and Yards of the N&W/VGN...now ,hmm, where to find topo and relief maps...USGS.....?
Thanks for more good stuff,
Virginian

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Virginian

Nice to hear that someone is going to model the real thing, I myself have never modelled anything other than a freelance railroad. My logging layout is purely fictitious and freelanced, this way, I can use just what I like.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Shamus & Virginian, I've always felt that if you're going to model a prototype, you should strive for the "flavor" of the original, rather than an exact replica. Sort of "free-lance" prototype modeling I guess you could say - or is that a contradiction in terms?
wink.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well I have seen some model railroads that did a good job of creating the original, right down to scratch building most of the structures, this is what I was on about, creating in miniature, the REAL THING.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Hello Shamus!

Al Gore would cry if he could see that large tree behind the locomotive!

You've got the diorama in front, but it looks as if you have a backdrop behind the logs BEHIND the locomotive. Is this shot actually three stages deep, or two, or do I need new glasses?
wink.gif

George.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi George, got your email, thanks.
The photo was taken on my layout, then the shay was cut around the top etc. New backscene added and saved.. Only a two stage picture. Your glasses are fine george, I cheat sometimes, well I don't, the computer does.
By the way, the logs behind the loco are on the backphoto.

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
'Mornin'
Thought I'd share the full scope of my lunatic (train 'nut'?) dream....who knows to what degree I'll be able to model it.
I want to create a true to life replica of the Virginian and the Norfolk and Western in Southwest Va./S. West Virginia, as close to actual scale as I can manage(some compression of distance will have to take place, of course, between terminals and main points of interest, and I don't think I'll try to do the entire yards in Roanoke)
I want to model even the mountains and hills, rivers, creeks, roads, towns ,cities, crossings,tunnels and grades as they were during the period of the transition to diesel, (c. 1950-1964..I guess I'll fudge a little with time...)with actual photo backdrops,if possible...WHEW!!!
This is an incredibly ambitious project, but I plan to start with a small segment(either in W.Va. or the Roanoke/Salem/Va. area.
This is where I grew up(partly), where my family is from, and most important, where my granddfather ran on both roads.
The research itself is fascinating, and I'm having a good time. So..
Wish me luck...I know I'll need all of that I could possible have, along with a huge dose of patience.
S'long, the
Virginian

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Virginian
You will have your hands full when you start that project, take as many photographs (IF POSSIBLE) of the real area, study them hard.
Make a miniature mockup model railroad out of cardboard first, just to see if you can get everything needed into your dream layout.
Before I made my HO logging layout, I did this to make sure everything would work track wise. My model was 2' by 1'-8". Only when I was satisfied did I venture into building the real thing.
Have fun
shamus

The log in back of the Shay reminds me of the Redwood Forest in California.
Virginian that is a great project. i am a freelance modeler, but for the last 3 years i've had an urge to model an industrial portion in Calgary. Its only 1 block wide and 6 blocks long. Just filled with industrial sidings. Like u said Shamus i plan to take mega pictures to study
smile.gif

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi Railery,
Been a long time since I was in Calgary, but I bet the railyards/industrial areas havn't changed beyond recogniton..Are you doing current view or historical or a mix of both? I kinda like the concept of bendin' and blendin' time a little...I guess that's the freelance part of my nature.
wink.gif

Virginian