Model Tech Kit Experience

PeteMorich

Mar 22, 2006
Hello,

I just received this Model Tech Studios Station kit as a gift.

http://mts.inline.net/displaybig.ihtml?image=S0035AD.jpg

Looks pretty cool...now all I have to do it put it together, paint and weather it a bit. (Don't even want to think about the over/under on that....4th of July anyone?

Anyone with any experience with this (or similar) proudcts they would like to share I am all ears!

Thanks!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
That is a beautiful building. Does the manufacturer give any info as to the prototype, or is it a freelanced "typical" mission station? It looks almost like the Santa Fe station in Fullerton California (now AMTRAK) except the Fullerton Station is 2 story in the main structure, and the freight house at the end is open. It will make a nice model when completed, and I think it should take long enough to complete to give you many hours of modeling enjoyment.

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
It doesn't say what the material is. Is it plastic or plaster? I love building craftsman kits. I typically use a base-coat of paint that is a little lighter than the finished color. In this case a beige, let's say, for the stucco. Then from there I use washes of highly diluted paint (in several applications) to sneak up on the final color. The washes will vary by what area you're modeling. Artist acrylics work well. I typically use greys and blacks. The important thing to remember is to start light, then work your washes darker. You can't go lighter.

Attachments

• grange.jpg
    grange.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 45
  • abandoned.jpg
    abandoned.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 45

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
looks neat,likin the southwest archeticture.i normally just apply the same color of the building over the lettering to make it look faded then use india ink diluted with achohol to bring out the deails.ittl look cool on your layout!--josh