Model Railroading Terms That Make Me Nutz!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Chessie
What was that all about? :confused:

Hi Chessie...

If you are referring to my post about turnouts being thrown by switch machines...

It's all about "Model Railroading Terms That Make Me Nutz!", to quote the title of this thread... :D

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Agreed Fred, I am just a big kid, playing with my toy trains, running them around a table covered with dry mud.

When I was a little kid, I played in the back yard with wooden/metal cars and trains and pushed them around the old sand box.

Now, my sand box is 48" high, the toys move all by themselves and the dried mud has been coloured to look a little more "real".

Same principal, just I want it to "look" better. I have no problem with that.

When I was a little kid, I built models, my goal then was to have the model look like the picture on the box. Now my models are 1:160 instead of 1/48 and I want them to look like the picture in the history book.

Same thing, just my expectations are higher as I grew taller.

F

Fred_M

define switch:6. A device consisting of two sections of railroad track and accompanying apparatus used to transfer rolling stock from one track to another.

define turnout: 7. A railroad siding.

from the dictonary, so a switch is part of a turnout, so what is sold as turnouts are really a switch with part of the turnout installed. Of course brakie has the second and final word as far as I'm conserned, so a turnout is what a fireman wears.

a turnouts is also what we have when we vote. FRED

:D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by dash10
Come on guys it's just a hobby. They are toy trains. The defintion of toy is at http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entries/72/t0297200.html and definition #3. states; " An amusement; a pastime:". So I am proud to play with my toy trains on my muddy set. How about your toy computer set? Does that bother you? (cause it is a set and probally a toy too). Words are like buttons, and the more you have the more people will push them. FRED

It doesn't matter to me what you call my trains, but I think some folks get upset if htey are called toys, because they feel they have made a model of the real thing, and they therefore deserve to be called models.

I always got a kick out of calling 1:1 airplanes "real planes" when talking to my friends who are into RC. They get noticably irritated, and politely explain that they are "full scale airplains". So they don't even want you to imply that their planes are not real airplanes!:D :D :D

F

Fred_M

IMHO some people are overly sensitive and are taking this politically correct thing a bit to the extreme. If I think it bugs someone to call his hobby "toys" I'll go out of my way to barb him/her just like jon does his RC buddies. He's punching their buttons. If they didn't respond in negative way he would give up and that's that. If an old lady says it she don't know better and is just talking. You shouldn't get mad at someone because they are ignorant. Mom was right when she said to ignore the name calling. "Now if you will excuse me, I'm a buzy man who never grew up and I got a toy train set to play with. " Kind of sounds like Mr. Feedwater.;) FRED

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by dash10
If an old lady says it she don't know better and is just talking. FRED

Except this old lady who's playing with toy trains too!!! :D :D :D :D

I have yet to get a negative reaction to my model RR, but that may be because my friends already realize that I will never "grow up"! Besides, since when did playing with toys (of any kind) become less productive than sitting around watching tv all night?

Maturity is sooooooo over-rated!

:D Val

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by spitfire

Except this old lady who's playing with toy trains too!!! :D :D :D :D

I have yet to get a negative reaction to my model RR, but that may be because my friends already realize that I will never "grow up"! Besides, since when did playing with toys (of any kind) become less productive than sitting around watching tv all night?

Maturity is sooooooo over-rated!

:D Val
You're only as old as: (multiple guess)
a.you feel
b.you act
c. you look
d. your birth certificate says
e. depends on if you want a beer or a senior discount.

But now I'm off subject of words that make one nutz.

I don't know if they are MR terms but I do know if I hear them in the train room they make me shiver like a freshly shaved poodle on the banks of Lake Michigan in early February. (Will Durst)

1) Woops!
2) I thought you had it.
3) Was I supposed to press record?
4) Is that supposed to happen?
5) What's that smell?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
and right up there with cute...........when I'm running HOn3 on the HO modules................oh!, he's using N scale for forced perspective.

I don't mind biting my tounge.........I just don't like the taste of blood.

( echo of primal scream )

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by N Gauger
Oh Mannnnn!!!!!! I'm moving to Missori!! I wanna know where Dash10 can buy beer with a senior Discount!!:p :p :p :p

Always be Prepaired!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
At the AARP poolhall and tavern also known as the VFW. FRED