Model Railroading for Dummies

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by XavierJ123, Feb 5, 2005.

1. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

You know all those books that are so popular and are entitled "SOMETHING OR OTHER FOR DUMMIES." Well, maybe we need a basic model railroading for dummies---like me. I am sure you all get tired of hearing the same questions from newbies so maybe we could format a list of basic information for dummies. For example, Gauge sizes available, pics would be nice, code size track or whatever the proper nomenclature is, steam vs. diesel, terminology, etc. If I overlooked this, please direct me to the proper thread or if there is a book available on the market let me know.
  2. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Well, you can get much of that info on the NMRA's 'Introduction to Model Railroading' pages at http://www.nmra.org/beginner/

As for nomenclature of steam vs diesel, that's another kettle of fish. The NMRA does have a CD, the InfoPak, that covers a lot of that (it's a cost item), but I know of no one site or book that covers everything you want.

[Isn't there a Model Railroading for Dummies book already? But it wouldn't touch on all of this either.]

Oh, the NMRA main pages are at: http://www.nmra.org/
  3. belg

belg Member

You could also get one of Shamus's CD's it has a ton of great info on it! Pat
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Shamus' CD's can now be seen on his web site. He has generously made them availble to everyone at no charge. :thumb: :thumb:

A big "thank you" to Paul for doing this. :wave: :wave:
  5. belg

belg Member

Don I don't have the cd but isn't there a lot more info on the cd that is not covered on the website?? Pat
  6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

There used to be, but Paul updated his web site and the entire CD is on it now. I have both his CD's and at first glance, the content of the web site is the same. Go to the AMR forum and there are links in the general section.