Model Railroad Workstation finished

Rusty Stumps

Just finished (this past weekend) my new model railroad workstation. I modified a pre-built, or I should say pre-cut, wardrobe cabinet I bought at Home Depot.

It turned out really nice and I've already finished one project. Before this I had to share space on my computer desk which didn't work out all that good.

If your interested the cabinet progression can be seen at: www.aimtrainers.com/workstation.htm :D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Walt, love the workstation, what about a "Play" station next :D:D
Shamus
wink.gif

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
A great idea.
Particularly for a person who wants to "work" in a room of the house that is used for other things. One can be in the middle of a project with stuff strewn all over the bench, close the doors and walk away --- and not feel guilty for messing up the house.
Bill S

Rusty Stumps

Tyson, understand, the living room is mine so to speak as is the dining room. There is just the two of us and two cats. We have a large family room at the back of the house that's my wife's (grin) so I have my rooms. Only problem is the white carpeting! I've thought about covering it with a large sheet of plastic tarp but that wouldn't look that great. The other problem is this is the first room you see on entering the house which is a very open design so I have to try and keep it looking fairly decent.

I narrowed down from two computer desks, one quite a large "U" shaped configuration to the smaller corner unit as I'm on the road most of the time now. That desk has four computers! Right, four. There are two servicers that sit underneith, and two laptops that sit up on the top shelves. I use a KVM switch so they all use the same mouse, keyboard and LCD monitor. There are two printers, a lazer and a color injet as well as a full size scanner on a table next to the desk. Believe me this is a lot less area than was being taken up by the full office. But as my business is winding down and I've taken to full time consulting I don't need all that so it's best filled with model railroading items!:D :D :D

Originally posted by Rusty Stumps
Only problem is the white carpeting! I've thought about covering it with a large sheet of plastic tarp but that wouldn't look that great.

Walt, what about one of those large anti-static plastic "carpet protectors" that you see under/around desks in offices? I can't remember what they're actually called, but they're available at Office Depot and places like that.

Rusty Stumps

Originally posted by Casey Feedwater

Walt, what about one of those large anti-static plastic "carpet protectors" that you see under/around desks in offices? I can't remember what they're actually called, but they're available at Office Depot and places like that.

Casey, That's what's there now, that kind of grey square thing under the stool. Problem is it has a bad habit of "walking" and it travels far in a short time. I think this might have to do with the type of carpeting and the grain of the fibers as I have another one on my computer desk with teeth but it still walks. I even tried fitting the tounge portion of the matte under the front edge of the cabinet but the weight wasn't enough to hold it down and it bunches up on the left side. So it was better to pull it out and just reset it every 30 minutes or so. Damn plush carpeting anyway!:mad: :eek: :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Walt,

I got my carpet protectors (2) at Staples. I don't know if they are the same brand as the ones from Office Depot or other places or the one that you use. I use them in my home office which has a plush carpet ~5/8". I use exec. chairs with rollers on the protectors and have not had any "traveling" problem. On my pads you can see 1/4" spikes spaced about every inch for the length and width of the pad. It takes a real effort to move it.

My problem seems to be on the pad in front of the computer station the chair rollers have made BIG indentations that make it hard to slide out of if I want to move without getting up:D :D Could that be from spending toooooo much time doing computer stuff (like "the Gauge") when I should be out walking or working on the trains?:D :D :)

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Hmmm...A room in the house.....wonder whats that like considering I'm down in the dungeon with the furnace, some spiders and a little grey mouse that once in awhile sits on my workbench while I'm working to see how I'm doing.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Ahhhh, if only they built basements in South Carolina......(wistful look in the eye, perhaps a tear of remembrance for the long lost youth spent in the family basement in Virginia.......

Almost all of my work is done in the garage, on the same bench used for EVERYTHING else. Working on multiple projects can be a bit chaotic. That which is done in a conditioned space is done on the dining room table on layers of newspaper. You are some lucky guy Rusty!

Enviously,
Ted

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
In one house we owned I was given a small closet in the living room to work in. The only reason I got that space was cause my wife claimed it was haunted so she did'nt want anything to do with it.

That was then and now is now. Just tonight I was in the shop measuring off a 20 by 10 ft area that will become a seperate dry and dust free room for the layout within the shop. In that space I have designated a 6 x 10 ft space for model building. I hope that will be enough as I like to spread out.

t.