Model Railroad Craftsman Magazine

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Railroad Model Craftsman Magazine

What's the deal?

If you pick up any magazine these days, model railroad or otherwise, it seems like more than half of it is ads. But this is rediculous. I've been disappointed in RMC in the past, but the March issue takes the cake. There is no content in this issue at all, only 1 article that's even worth mentioning. And to top it all off, more than 80% of its pages are advertisements. I've just bought my last issue.

:curse:

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
You're absolutely right, but, unfortunately that's the cost of doing business. Most editors,(and I know more than a few) will tell you that to stay afloat in today's marketplace, you've got to have a ratio of about 75% to 25% advertisements to content. It's a crying shame, but there's not really a whole lot that the average guy or gal can do about it.

Kevin

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
shaygetz said:
That one still out there, Jim? I was just given over 60 back issues from the 80s and it looks great.

Yes it still is there but being higher priced than Mr or RMC not a lot of shops stock it .:cry:
havent been up to Phonix to pick up the last 4 months but the last one i got was priced at $5.50. the other draw back is it isen't aimed at the novice modeler.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I find Mainline Modeler to be very erratic as far as content goes. I always check out each new issue, but I'm more critical, partially due to the price and partially due to having a more focused view of what I'm interested in. They've done some well researched articles, and there have been others that just seemed to peter out before offering any real information, other than a stunning photo or a well-executed drawing.
I find RMC is most attuned to my modelling interests, with a good blend of prototype information, scratchbuilding ideas, and editorial content. I also like the fact that they're not afraid to feature Canadian authors, writing about Canadian railroading. I suppose a magazine with little content other than ads would be annoying, more like a catalogue: however, I always enjoy seeing new products offered, even if I have no intention of buying them. Sometimes they become inspiration for a scratchbuilding project.

Wayne

R U talking about RMC (Railroad Model Craftsman)???
The March issue has articles on:
Traction
A relatively huge operating layout
A steam winch model
Rahway Valley RR
Nn3 brass kit building
A mine ventilation structure
Realistic fir trees (look pretty good)
Kit bashing
Weathering
Moret traction
Gilbert HO (collectors)
Maybe Model Railroad Craftsman is something else I haven't seen.
I always like RMC as it is more geared toward modeling a little
more advanced than MR. It's not quite as slick, and it does have at
least as many ads. But, ya picked up a Reader's Digest lately? :D :D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The original post was about Model Railroad Craftsman, a magazine with which I'm not familiar. My reply referred to Railroad Model Craftsman, in my opinion, the best and most consistent of the bunch.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Geeze, where do you guys find all these different magazines? I've got enought trouble sorting out the differences between Model Railroading and Model Railroader, and between N Scale and N Scale Railroading.:confused: Now I have to worry about Model Railroad Craftsman and Railroad Model Craftsman. :eek: Don't these guys that name these magazines have any sense of originallity? :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever compiled a list of all the magazines dedicated to model railroading? There must be some that are available in one country but not another. There are others that cover one specific aspect or scale. It's obvious that most people have opinions on each one. I'm sure there are a few that haven't been mentioned here yet and it would be interesting to find out what's available and what people actually read or don't read.:wave:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I used to subscribe to MR and RMC, but my main interest in model railroading is Santa Fe, and the national magazines by nature must cover a wide mix of prototype and freelance model railroads. Now my only subscription is to the "Warbonnett" from the Santa Fe Modeling and Historical Society. I will buy an issue here and there of one of the monthly mags if they have an artical or two that interest me, but otherwise I pass.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Subscription to daily newspaper 30+ dollars per month just to stay informed ( I get my info via TV Radio and Internet)
Subscription for Pleasurable reading of model magazines 40.00 per year
MR ..............................................40.00
RMC.............................................35.00
Gazzette........................................25.00
Timber Times................................24.00
Finescale Annual
MR Annuals
On30 Annual..................................40.00

164.00 per year for alot of pleasurable reading material and great referance material overall. About 1/2 the cost of a Newspaper and a heckuva lot more fun.

Where else would we get information on new products, new techniques etc at this point.Not everybody is online and much of the online information came from print first.

I enjoy them and I support those that interest me. Sure, they aint always perfect, but then neither am I ;)

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
My bad. :eek:ops:

I wrote the name down wrong when I made my original post. Indeed, I'm referring to Railroad Model Craftsman. I've changed the thread title and original post with the change. Sorry for any confusion.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I can get in enough trouble playing with the models I've got, never mind having to build a grotto for playing with those other ones. Most of them have already been kitbashed a little too much for my tastes anyway.

Wayne

JAyers

Sep 9, 2004
yeah, liquour and tobacco companies neither buy from nor are welcome in MR, RMC, et al. I don't mind. Hey, most of you don't mind plunkin down $300 for a plastic toy train, why the grumpin about some ads in a magazine???

John

Pitchwife said:
All I can say is that a subscription to MR is more than double of one for Playboy. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. :eek: :eek: