Model power: Cheap junk? or an alterative to the big guys?

LIRR

Model power. We've all had our run in's with them, be it a cheap kit to finish a scene, a freight car (With some work those frieght cars can be something). I've been scaning around for kits for the new layout, And model power stuff has caught my eye, I figure with some work those under 20$ kits could be something worthwile (no mention of the old coal mine, that somb*tch was on my old layout and was one of the worst kits i've ever came across, it fell apart all the time)

So whats you guys opinions on model power?

brakie

Well Model Power like most other brands of less then $20.00 buildings can be fixed up and details added..
Now the truth of the matter is those high dollar building kits needs work as well such as added details like roof vents,restroom vents,fire escapes and such like details..IMHO a building is not finish without some type of interior. :D

F

Fred_M

Model Power kits for years have been the kitbashers delight. They are relatively inexpensive and have lots of little detail parts like buckets, shovels, and barrels included that don't come with some of the higher priced kits. I think they are a great value. They are not FSM, but they also don't cost like FSM. Fred

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Seems like even the cheapest kits or preassembled buildings (or rolling stock for that matter) have the potential to be nice models with some creativity and care.
Ralph

wjstix

I think some of the Model Power buildings are pretty good. Some are made for them by Pola(??) or somebody in Germany and are nice. I ended up buying one of the pre-built HO coaling towers (couldn't find the kit version), with some weathering and a little detailing I think it looks good.

up_santafe

I have used a number of Model Power building kits, and with some serious detailing and weathering (cost, almost zero) they look as good as the expensive buildings on my layout. I have their Coaling Tower, Haunted House and one shed and they look great. See my photos at the address on my signature. Judge for yourself.

hocaboose

Keep in mind that some manufacturers released buildings under different names (eg Model Power/Pola/Tyco). All inexpensive models are potentially great building with a little forethought and effort.

Pete