Model Power 0-4-0 problem

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
My son was given a Santa Fe 0-4-0 switcher, item number 6634, for Christmas. While the engine runs, it runs wobbly and eventually jumps off the track (it looks like it is trying to "hop" down the track). It is almost like something is out of balance. What can be done to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Michael

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi Michael, Merry Christmas! I have an SF 0-4-0 that did the same thing. I found the wheelsets had a lot of slop (left and right, not for/aft). I shimmed them with some nylon washers. Rather than take it all apart, I cut "V" shape notches in the washers and just pressed them over the axle. Runs fine now. Dunno where you can buy them, but I could pop a few in the mail. I some cases, the drivers might just need pressed further onto the shaft, but I would measure it against NMRA specs first.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Micheal, In addition to the other suggestions....

1. Possible burr in one or more of the holes in the drive rods.

2. Drivers out of quarter...not 90 degrees to each other on opposite sides of the loco...requires a quartering jig to fix...expensive....jig costs more than the loco:eek:

3. One of the screws that hold the rods to to the drivers is run in too tight.

4. Worm gear...not the worm on the motor... is out of round or is off center and at an angle to the motor worm. Easy to fix.

5. One or more of the drivers is out of round or a tire is pressed on a driver center crooked.

Keep picking...You'll find it!!!

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Just one more thing to look at would be to make sure the "piston shafts" are not binding as it goes back and forth in the piston cylinders, if it has them.

Vic, I have re-quartered a set of driver's without a jig, MAN what a pain.

t.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
Hi Michael, Merry Christmas! I have an SF 0-4-0 that did the same thing. I found the wheelsets had a lot of slop (left and right, not for/aft.

That is something I noticed myself as well and I am thinking is the main problem. If you don't mind sending them, I sure would appreciate a few washers. Just send me your snail mail address and I'll send you a SASE plus however much they cost.

Thanks,
Michael

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Paul,
the washers arrived today from "Elf Paul" as I told my son (the engine was a gift from Santa). I got them put on and it is running better. I still need to sand down the flanges some (it is a 15 year old new engine) but everything is going much better with it.

Tell Santa we said "Hi!";) :D

Michael