Model Photography

CCT24

Feb 22, 2007
What is the secret to taking good model photography...I am embarrased to state that I own a Digital Rebel XT and can't seem to do nice close-up model photos that are in focus except for the dead center of the picture...any suggestions?

Thanks

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
get at good angles, to focus, you may be TOO close, you may need a macro lens..

With my Canon PowerShot S2IS I have a macro mode.

Its like reading glasses for the camera lol...
Everything is blurry except up close stuff...

Look in your manual for a macro mode, you might have it, maybe not.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
If you've already got a DSLR then you should invest in a quality macro lens and some basic studio lighting. With that there won't be anything miniature you can't take a picture of.

http://www.photo.net/learn/macro/primer

Sometimes we need to look beyond model railroading for an answer.

CCT24

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks, my camera does have a Macro Setting and I am using it, I didn't realize I needed a macro lens as well. Thanks for the responses.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
CCT24,

Macro is a function of the lens, not the camera body. The point-and-shoot cameras have the setting to adjust the focus and exposure for extreme close-ups (3"-3').

I'm assuming you bought your Rebel as a package, and so got the EF-S 18 - 55 mm lens. Your closest focus with that lens is just under a foot, so when you set up your pics, you need to be at least 1' from your subject. When you do, set your camera to Macro mode, it will try to maintain a higher aperture number to increase depth-of-field.

Oh yes, and the more light the better. Don't use your flash, it will just make your subjects look brighter. Even if you can bring in a couple of extra room lamps to brighten things up, you'll see an improvement. Of course positioning several lights for studio-style lighting will produce even better results, but lighting is a course in itself.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nevermind the macro lens. Just back up a bit, and then use the zoom to, well, zoom in. ;)Many people seem the think that because the subject is small, they have to get right on top of it to photograph it. Not true...! Treat your trains more like the real thing. If you are trying to shoot your models from 4" away, think about whether you'd take a picture of the real thing from only 30 feet away.

Besides, if you are right on top of the subject, your lighting will be compromised. So get the camera on a tripod, back up, and properly light the scene.

Think about depth of field too. With model subjects, you want a big depth of field, and that means small aperture, which in turn means longer exposure time, which leads us back to the tripod again... Small depth of field means that only a small amount of what you can see will be in focus.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Fortunately, with a digital camera, the one thing that will make your photography better costs you absolutely nothing - PRACTICE! :)

Try this, that, the other thing.... camera close, camera far off, different lighting, anything you read about. Soon enough you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Hey David, glad to see you here. You'll like this place.

The kit that I am ordering for the XTi includes a Macro lens, so you can borrow mine when it gets here, I am far from ready to start photographing my layout. Macro lenses go pretty inexpensive though on E-bay.

BTW, I met our two favorite FRRS/UP clowns last night at Charter Way and have the new hoses for the 24 along with a hose wrench/anti-auto theft device. I guess Matt's back on EP's train for a while. Like railroading with Cheech & Chong. SA almost stole their train too. A fun night. Hoses are in the back of the "G-Ride", EP said he'll meet us out there Friday if he can.