Model Painting

Iorkca

May 16, 2005
I have a old tyco santa fe train and i want to strip the paint off of it. What kind off paint stripper can i use to remove the paint safely and is there any type of procedure on how to do this properly.

Iorkca

May 16, 2005
thanks i will then sand a little over some rough spots and then prime and re-paint. I am looking at repainting with the blue yellow santafe theme , any idea where i could get the decals for this engine

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Soaking the shell in brake fluid will remove the paint.
I soak the shells for about 6 hours then scrub them with a toothbrush then soak them longer if all the paint didn't come off.
After you get all the paint off scrub the shell with warm water and dish washing soap.

Iorkca

May 16, 2005
and that doesn't hurt the plastic at all? That sounds interesting actually, i might have some brake fluid here.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Ray's brake fluid idea works well with most plastics. AHM uses a plastic that crazes somewhat when dipped in brake fluid. I myself use Pine-Sol pine oil cleaner on my equipment, the commercial lines of strippers being too expensive for me. BTW, it works very well removing the finish on chrome plated plastic parts for painting as well.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Yes, you want to strip a Tyco, the paint is too thick on them and alot of detail is hidden. Use the brake fluid on them, that's what I did. I couldn't believe the detail that was under the paint!!

Iorkca

May 16, 2005
cool thanks guys, i will try that in the next fe days. Now about the decals anyone know where i can get some.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The component in brake fluid that removes the paint is denatured alcohol. I like using Pine Sol myself, but if you want to use brake fluid, you are probably better off to go to Home Depot, Lowes, Orchard, etc. and buy a gallon of denatured alcohol. I use it to thin water based acrylic paints for air brushing as well.

CN_Pete

Feb 4, 2004
Markham Ontario
Visit site
Ray suggested the best way of removing paint with brake fluid. Make sure you wash it throughly, to get it clean. I use a wooden toothpick to get those hard to reach places. The toothbrush usually removes most of the paint.

Peter

Don

Jan 14, 2005
Try Castrol super clean. A gallon runs about $6 or less. I used all of the above methods to strip an Ath 38-2 shell. While most paint came off, there was enuf left to spoil a recoat. I mixed the Castol 50-50 w/water & let it soak for an hr. Remaining pt. softened up & brushed right off leaving a clean surface ready for primer. NO harm done to the shell.

Don

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I've used brake fluid on Tyco as well as Bachmann. The paint seems to be real thick from these guys.
Now, with the thin coats used today, couple thin coats of primer does the trick.