Model of the Week: Another 1/4 scale Merc..the journey begins

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Closet Astronaut, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Paper Kosmonaut

Paper Kosmonaut Member

Impressive! Very!
  2. merzo

merzo New Member

Really excellent work. Interest and amazement!

Merzo

3. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Made the floor plate for pilots compartment and started the instrument pannel detailling.

Attached Files:

4. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Finnised up the pannel today. It's not real accurate but it gets the point across, with it mounted you can't see most of it any way

Attached Files:

5. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

Nice job I think I,m going to start using that disclaimer too.If it makes you happy thats what counts.Even if it,s not perfect.I like all the button and knob work too.I have been over thinking the breakers and I really like the aprouch you used.Is that telephone wire?
  6. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Thanks...I've gotten to the point that if youre not going to be able to see it from looking through the hatch I don't see the point in putting all the time and effort into trying to make all the parts. I'll never get the detail to match what Phil did with his. I've been looking at his photos of the finished capsule and what you can see through the hatch isn't much. I'm going to concintrate on whats most visable.

Actually there's phone, electrical and speaker wire. I just got a tip frm another modeler about using spagetti for the toggles, I'm going to play around with that before putting the pannel to bed. I had to cut the pig tail shorter, it was just too much weight hanging on one side, it caused the whole scope to lean.
  7. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Started the aft bulkhead detailing

Attached Files:

8. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

update

Attached Files:

9. ovation

ovation Member

Have a look at my Atomic City model,theres a few differences here in the rear wall,
    but I put faith in your version,Il be adding extra detail when you finish yours :mrgreen:

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/25283800.jpg/

JASON..
  10. Paper Kosmonaut

Paper Kosmonaut Member

Hi Jason, I also have the Atomic City model in a box on the shelf awaiting assembly. As far as I know, the AC capsule has been modeled after the unflown MA-10 capsule Shepard would have been piloting if NASA had not canceled it. It indeed lacked the lower couch part and was made much more lightweight than the previous ones due to its mission profile. (Didn't the couch consist of a mesh kind of seat?) -- Besides that, all the Mercury capsules were slightly different.
    Are you still in the building phase of the capsule?

CA - Your boxy business looks the part! Very nice work you done there!
  11. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Hey guys, this is not quite exact I'm using Phil Smiths build as reference but not following it exactly. When I close this thing up you're not going to see much from looking through the hatch.

The only ones that are going to appreciate the detail are those here on the forum, no one that comes to my house gives a fat rats A about models any way. I'm waiting on the shingles, when those come in I'll start on the heat sheild and thrust structure I want to concintrate on the out side and most visable areas.

When I get these done I think this thing will really come alive.

Attached Files:

12. ovation

ovation Member

Yes Im still slowly building it,have been for what seems like an age,
    I think I stopped when I saw the staggering amount of detail I could add to it,
    Ive got to finish off the internal capsule details,before I start on the rear wall painting,but I want to get it looking pretty good before I start on the Astronauts suit etc so Im not rushing :mrgreen:,

JJ-UK
  13. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Hey ovation how about some pics, I would like to see some others that are working on this model.

Here are some more bulk head detail.

Attached Files:

14. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

wiring the bulk head

Attached Files:

15. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Did a little work on the couch, lost my inspiration so I set it aside for now and went to work on the thrusterpack.

Attached Files:

16. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

Cool where did you get the 1/4 scale thruster pack.If you don,t mine me asking?I tried the paper route on the couch and I think I,m going to try window screen to form out the fiberglass part instead.And cover it in tissue paper to give it the fiberglass look.Looking at the thruster pack again it,s scratched built nice job on the coloring.
  17. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Hey Paul

I used the thruster pack from Ton's 1/24 scale merc model and jacked up the size to 600%. It pixilates really bad but with a ruler, pencil, and some sharpies that can be fixed. I think it's actually going to turn out good.

Serfduke has a really nicely detailed sigma 7 merc model in 1/24. It has the aft bulkhead, scope and controll pannel. i've tried to use the couch from this model but can't figure out how to assemble it.
  18. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Thruster pack done.

A little scale comparison.

Attached Files:

19. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Heat sheild and thruster pack complete.

Attached Files:

20. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member