Model Of The Month: 2001 EVA Pod Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by eatonad, Oct 6, 2011.

1. eatonad

eatonad New Member

Under Carriage to Hull

It's time to put the under carriage and the hull together. Once the hull was in place I glued the tabs of the under carriage to the hull.
    [​IMG]

I had a little trouble with the right side resulting in a wrinkle in the under carriage near the pionted top. Other than that this step went pretty well.
    [​IMG]
    When you alter a design there are consequences. When I created a well for the fold down seat I lowered the bottom of the interior. I had to cut a 1/4 inch off the main motor housing which was sized to support the interior assembly. On my build you can see I ended up with a gap between the motor housing and the interior.
    [​IMG]
    The plastic lenses worked really well on the lights.
  2. eatonad

eatonad New Member

Ear Puffs

I desided to add the ear puffs before the rear grillwork. I didn't get many pictures of this step. It was pretty straight forward however.
    [​IMG]
    I used tabs to connect the thin band to the main housing then added the mounting ring. One CAUTION about the left ear muff mounting ring.
    [​IMG]
    I had to cut the mounting ring back to the outer thin ring in order to get the door to open. As you can see the door will get caught by the mounting ring if you don't cut it back.
    [​IMG]
    With the ear muffs in place the model is beginning to take shape. The control motor domes on each ear muff were easy builds. Using a french curve I simply made the same cut for each side of the gaps, working first one side then flipping the curve and working back around doing the other side. I marked the curve with tape to get the same cut. The domes are simetrical so I didn't worry about cutting off the guide lines. I simply used the back side for the outer serface.
    [​IMG]
    I had to show this forward view, from this angle the model looks great!:rolleyes:
  3. dratomgas

dratomgas New Member

Looks fantastic! Keep it up, well done!
  4. eatonad

eatonad New Member

Rear Grill Work

The rear grill work completes the EVA body.
    [​IMG]
    This was also a staight build. As I had already placed the ear muffs I cut off the hull mounting tabs on this part.
    [​IMG]
    I modified the rear thruster box assembly adding a second wall to the box supports making them wider.
    [​IMG]
    The EVA body was now complete. All that remains is the manipulator arms.
  5. eatonad

eatonad New Member

The Final Step

I printed the manipulator arms on 2 different pieces of paper. One was the 80 pound cover stock the other was a thinner 35 pound print.
    [​IMG]
    The above picture shows the arm parts in various stages of completion. In the lower left hand corner you can see one of the tubular arms. Rather than rolling and gluing the tab I cut the part wider and rolled it round a tooth pic. I also changed the grip pads from boxes to diamond shapes.
    [​IMG]
    With the arms assembled the model is pretty much complete. I still need to tough up some areas with a little paint.
    [​IMG]
    I added some small details to the arms such as the rods on the lower arms and I also reworked the rods on the claws. All that remains is to get some good gallery shots.
  6. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Spectacular build! Lots of detail in this one, you did a stunning job, congrats!
  7. uhu02

uhu02 Active Member

Amazing technique! Congratulations completed:wave:
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

A most excellent build, sir! Very, very well done! :thumb:
  9. eatonad

eatonad New Member

Gallery Shots

Thank you every one. This was a very enjoyable model to build. Thankyou once again to UHU02 for a wonderful design. As you can see below this is a truly great model.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Very Awesome.

Just out of curiosity, when you rolled the arm pieces, how did you estimate the extra paper length needed to roll it to the right thickness?
  11. eatonad

eatonad New Member

On the first arm I rolled the full length off paper. It was to long and overlapped the seam mark as planed. I then measured from the paper edge to the other seam line underneath. I actually made a tiny mark. I then unrolled the arm and cut that much off the inner edge and rolled the arm again. This still did not make a perfect seam match but it was very close. I estimated how much more I had to cut off, unrolled it again and cut some more off. I did this twice before I got it right. I then duplicated that distance on the other 5 arm parts.
  12. eatonad

eatonad New Member

Display Plaque

I would like to add one last entry to this build. With the model complete I wanted to display it in such a manor as to keep it safe from damage and yet show it off. I biuld out of corrugated cardboard a plaque so I could hang it on my wall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I downloaded a picture from the internet and pasted it on the back-board then finished by pasting back paper everywhere else. Thank you for letting me share this with you.
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Incredible!! Absolutely excellent!! You might want to make a post in the UHU appreciation thread as he has been taken for granted lately, and I know he would love to see this and how you have mounted it.
  14. uhu02

uhu02 Active Member

very cool!!!:thumb:
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  15. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

I love that display! Looks really cool! Nice job
  16. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Awesome build!
  17. kevo

kevo Member

Outstanding well done. just love this model.
  18. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

Just awesome and outstanding the best built model I,ve seen in a while .Love the display too.
  19. stripe4me

stripe4me New Member

I think that you're doing a great job. I'm saving your comments and pics in the hopes that I'll be able to get this model in the future. Keep up the good work!
  20. Thales

Thales New Member

Wow that came out nice. I like the shelf idea, but I'd be worried that someone would bump into it and mash part of it... but then again I'm not exactly coordinated and I'd probably be the one to flatten something like that in my house.