Model colorings, patterns and textures

Mattokun

Jul 8, 2011
Hello,
When I look at paper models (esp. "professional" ones), then they always have very nice textures and patterns. They don't look "computerized" but actually natural.

For example, the other day I saw the "Betty" and "Ju 188" GPM models, the Betty has really nice coloring incl. wear-and-tear, and the Ju has very cool "natural" Nordic camouflage.

How/where do I get/create/generate such coloring schemes? Fiddler's Green has simple models like the Aircamper and the Pou du Ciel that come as black and white as well, and it would be cool to color them and have an individual look.

Thanks!

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
That takes years of praxis, of course.
The black and white images can be colored an weathered in any software you choose to use. If we think about "free", there is Gimp, Inkscape and many others...
But you have to know WHAT you are going to paint (which means seriously studying the photos or even better the real machine, so that you know, how it works, where the wear-and-tear is and how it looks).
And then you have to know HOW are you going to do it. That takes some working with the mentioned software, or even watercolors and paintbrush ;)
There is, IMO, no easy way out of this.

Mattokun

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks Wojtee... I know GIMP and all, but their learning curve is quite steep (for me) and it will take a good amount of time to get sth that looks natural and not "computerized"...

Thanks !

Z

Zathros

I think this is the artwork in paper modeling. These weathered ships, planes etc. You can slop this stuff on and except to get away with it. Bad graphics, a great way to destroy a model. :)