Model Art P-51 D MUSTANG 375 FS

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dwgannon, Jul 2, 2005.

1. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Looking good!!
  2. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dave, all,

Since you mentioned it, I thought I would share a source of wire with the group that I shared with you when we spoke.
    If you will check with your local florist shops, they use varying thicknesses of bare steel wire for flower arrangements, they usually come in 1 ft lengths and vary in thickness from the size of a bread tie twist to that of heavy guage paper clips.
    My local florist sells them to me, usually less than a penny a piece and sometimes with the small guage wire, i can get up to five 1 ft pieces for a penny.
    If you should use tie twist wire, you can double its strength by doubling the wire by twisting it on itself, then glueing it into the paper.

have a good day,

Greg
  3. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dave, all,

Since you mentioned it, I thought I would share a source of wire with the group that I shared with you when we spoke.
    If you will check with your local florist shops, they use varying thicknesses of bare steel wire for flower arrangements, they usually come in 1 ft lengths and vary in thickness from the size of a bread tie twist to that of heavy guage paper clips.
    My local florist sells them to me, usually less than a penny a piece and sometimes with the small guage wire, i can get up to five 1 ft pieces for a penny.
    If you should use tie twist wire, you can double its strength by doubling the wire by twisting it on itself, then glueing it into the paper.

have a good day,

Greg
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hey, Greg:
    I agree, it's a great source of cheap and very handy wire for many uses.

I've been using that florist wire for years because it really works well...and, for me, the price is right...you see, my brother-in-law owns a florist shop so I can get my supplies pretty much whenever I want and for the cost of a "thank you." I have bought similar stuff from a local craft shop, but even then it's still pretty cheap stuff and works like a charm.

I use it for my ship models, for helping to form the masts, booms, etc. It takes a coat of paint very well and glues nicely to paper rolls, and I've used it many times for landing gear and the like on aircraft.

Great tip!

Jim
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Hey, Greg:
    I agree, it's a great source of cheap and very handy wire for many uses.

I've been using that florist wire for years because it really works well...and, for me, the price is right...you see, my brother-in-law owns a florist shop so I can get my supplies pretty much whenever I want and for the cost of a "thank you." I have bought similar stuff from a local craft shop, but even then it's still pretty cheap stuff and works like a charm.

I use it for my ship models, for helping to form the masts, booms, etc. It takes a coat of paint very well and glues nicely to paper rolls, and I've used it many times for landing gear and the like on aircraft.

Great tip!

Jim
  6. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay,
    Two more pictures. Next pictures shold be of the finished modesl. Not sure if I am going to do the drop tank on this or wait until I do it again with the new wing.
  7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay,
    Two more pictures. Next pictures shold be of the finished modesl. Not sure if I am going to do the drop tank on this or wait until I do it again with the new wing.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Dave............looks fantastic. Still better tan mine!

How are you doing?

john
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Dave............looks fantastic. Still better tan mine!

How are you doing?

john
  10. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

John,
    I still think you did a better job. But let's just say they are both Fantastic. Now that I have it completed I am very happy with this build. I am going to do another one later. But here are the finished pictures.
  11. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

John,
    I still think you did a better job. But let's just say they are both Fantastic. Now that I have it completed I am very happy with this build. I am going to do another one later. But here are the finished pictures.
  12. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

John,
    I am doing much better. The Doc. siad that my white count is down so the Chemo is working. They have given me shots to increas my red blood count so not as tired. But here are the rest of the finished pictures. Thanks every one for the comments and I hope this thread can be used to help others complete this model.
  13. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

John,
    I am doing much better. The Doc. siad that my white count is down so the Chemo is working. They have given me shots to increas my red blood count so not as tired. But here are the rest of the finished pictures. Thanks every one for the comments and I hope this thread can be used to help others complete this model.
  14. Jim Krauzlis

She came out awesome, Dave...nice, neat and superb build!

I'm glad you're doing better too...just be sure to take it easy.

Cheers!

Jim
  15. Jim Krauzlis

She came out awesome, Dave...nice, neat and superb build!

I'm glad you're doing better too...just be sure to take it easy.

Cheers!

Jim
  16. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

I just got back from the Hobby Lobby with two packages of straight floral wire 18 ga. Forty two foot straight pieces for one whole dollar!

Thanks for the tip this will come in very handy for the Bristol F2b and most of my other models as well.

Cecil
  17. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

I just got back from the Hobby Lobby with two packages of straight floral wire 18 ga. Forty two foot straight pieces for one whole dollar!

Thanks for the tip this will come in very handy for the Bristol F2b and most of my other models as well.

Cecil
  18. barry

barry Active Member

mustang

Looks great

barry
  19. barry

barry Active Member

mustang

Looks great

barry
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dave,

Man I like the words that be coming out of your mouth! I'm am VERY happy to hear good news. Do as Jim says and take it easy, build up those reds.

The model is truly good, I also plan on another build of it.......heck I'm working on the new IAF version from Moshe's site.......... when I got time and need to make my mind think of other stuff.

I've got a profile that shows a blue version instead of the green and I'm thinking about a re-paint and re-number to match it.

Can't wait to see some more of the big blue cat in the background!

Glad you are doing better.......and heck I almost forgot.......... you even take better pictures than me. Maybe I gotta make a trip up and get some tips! :D

Take care

john