Model Art P-51 D MUSTANG 375 FS

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dwgannon, Jul 2, 2005.

1. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I have started on the mustang. So far I am happy with the model just not the modeler. :( I have a few mistakes so far but not to bad. I have included a few photos of the model.
  2. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Looks good to me! I just downloaded this for a future project so I'll be quite interested in your comments and progress reports.
  3. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay things are looking up. I thought I might have had the Airframe twisted a bit but after reprinting the Frame template every thing looks good. I am very please with this model. It has the a lot of detail and prints out great. I have always like the ModelArt models. I have posted a new picture with the start of the tail section.

Model: Model Art P-51 D MUSTANG 375 FS
    Scale: 1/32
    Pages: 7 Cardstock
    4 Paper
    1 Transparency
    7 instuction (Note you will need to down load page three of the ints. from the site. It's misprinted in the down load. )
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Dave I think it's better than my start of the IAF version!

Looks very good to me! Please keep us posted.

john
  5. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

The plane is looking great so far Dave. You should be very pleased.
  6. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Well things are proceeding quite well. I am now very happy with this build. This is an outstanding model and very detailed. When I build this model in the future I think I will buy a canopy for it and build it open. But so far that tail fit was fantastic. Every thing is snug and tight. Normally I do not put the wire in for the antennas but thought I would be different. It calls for wire but since my wife has so much sewing thread I did not think should would miss a piece of black. Looks good and works. I have included the latest build pictures. But I do want to say one thing. Dr. Z keep them coming. This one is great. :p :p :p
  7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Looks like a lot of fun...How much was it by the way?

John John
  8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

The model was purchased from http://www.card-models.com/ for $18.50 US. It has been a very fun model to build. I am about to post some pictures of the Exhausts pipes.
  9. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

This has been a fun build. I started out just a little disappointed with my self only to find I am my worst crittic. But the more I do the more I enjoy this plane. But here are some new pitures with the Exhausts pipes on one side. 8) I hope to have it finshed before thursday. After that I will be off line for a few weeks recovering from PaceMaker Surgery. But for now lets get on with the picturs.
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Dave looks great!

We'll be thinking about you during your "down time".
    Good luck!

john

P.S.

Just order my 375 FS Mustang.
  11. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Found a slight error on my part. There is an exhaust cover that was put on wrong. The islistartion was not clear so looked at some pictures of the P-51D and found my mistake. Here are some new pictures with the correction.
  12. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay folks,
    I did not get it done before my Wednesday deadline. So here is what I have so far. I will finish it up in a few weeks as soon as I can start cutting with my right arm. My Pacemaker has to go back in on the right side this time due to the infection on the left side from last time. But any way, sorry got off track. This model has been great to work on. As I said it started off disappointed, then the more I did, the more I got into it. The fit on this model is excellent, so good that the wings were really tight too the fuselage. I almost did not have to use glue. But I did. I have always had problem with warping when I did the wings. But not this one, like I said the fit is good. I am very happy with the model. I will post more pictures as I finish the model.
  13. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Nice build. Hope to see more pictures of your Mustang, defenitely I want to bilid one. Just need to pay my mortgage off and get rid of the car payments:).
    Then off course is persuading my wife that I need "ANOTHER PLANE???!."

Anyways, I hope you pacemaker thing goes OK. This is the most important thing!
  14. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

After spending over $6,000.00 for sewing equipment for her hobby. That it no longer an issue. But I will have to slow down now to pay for the doctor bills.
  15. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

To bad you do no live in Canada, here you do not have to worry about paying for surgeries or anything like that.
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Good Luck Dave! Get well Soon!!

Before you leave the build is turning out fantastic!

One question...........the canopy.........did you make it (vacuform) or purchase it? It looks great, either way!

I'm not as far as you are on my build of this Mustang, but close. It's not quit as good as yours.
  17. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay Folks,
    I am back in good shape. The arm feels great, and the pacemaker is working as it should. So I am back to the cutting table. In this addition I have added the gun ports to the wings, The Main wing roots were the body meets the wings. So far this has been a solid fitting model. We still have to fix the main gear wheel wells but that should be no problem. I have also added the tail section. Again this was a good fit. Over all on a scale from 1 – 10 I would give this model an 8. A little more detail in the instructions and it would have made a 10. But still I am glad that I bought it. I am including more pictures.
  18. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay here is a top view.
  19. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

On the Canopy, well I have never done a vacuum form yet. I had to do it the old fashion way. I printed it out on Ink Jet overhead slide, and cut it out. Then I glued it to the Canopy frame, using Adhesive glue.
  20. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Looking good! Mine finaly arrived after waiting for ever. One thing Dr .Zarkov needs to do is speed up the delivery process.
    Models from DeWayne come almost instantly. From Zarkov, I had to wait more then 2 days.
    Anyway, greate buld, more close ups!
    DK