Mocking Jay Pin (Hunger Games)

sjsquirrel

Hi everyone. A while back I saw The Hunger Games and got poking around on the net for pictures. I ran across images of the mocking jay pin the main character wore and whipped up a couple versions. This is version 2. Both are available on my website (see my signature) along with a little more history.

The photos don't do it justice. It looks much better in person.

picture.php

Construction is simple. You just cut out the pieces and glue the layers one on top of the other.

picture.php

I chose to cut off the pendant ring as I wasn't going to use it anyway.

picture.php

picture.php

The base seemed a bit thin so I glued a few extra layers of card stock to it.

picture.php

Here I'm gluing up the bird layers

picture.php

This is the first 5 or 6 layers I think. I used my little scoring tool to trace some of the lines in the pattern giving it a more 3D look and feel. I also use the little ball on the tool to rub the edges of the layers, smoothing them out a bit.

picture.php

Ready for the last few detail layers.

picture.php

Detail layers cut out and ready to glue

picture.php

After gluing all layers I used a small knitting (crochet?) needle to rub the edges all around and smooth it out. The circular base got the same treatment. It's subtle, but it really adds to the finished appearance.

picture.php

Almost done

picture.php

And done

picture.php

And finally, a comparison to the original pendant I used as the template. A good reproduction I think.

picture.php

One day soon I'll make another and color it with a good metallic sharpie or something like that. Should make it look awesome.

Enjoy!

Steve

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for this really cool looking medallion.
As always, you have done a FANTASTIC job.

sjsquirrel

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'm very pleased with how they turned out. After finally getting around to doing this post I felt motivated to print out a couple more (the patterns print the parts for two pins per page) and I'll build them and paint them to see how they look.

I'll post a pic when it's done. I only have 4 or 5 build projects going, so how long can it take? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Steve

Z

Zathros

You think you could design a "Zealot" pendant? That would be so cool!! :)

sjsquirrel

You think you could design a "Zealot" pendant? That would be so cool!! :)

Well, I'm not so good at designing things from scratch, but give me a design and I can make it a kit.

Beautiful! Instead of the sharpie, you can consider printing it directly on silver (or golden) paper...

That's true. Silver and gold papers are hard to come by in my neck of the woods, but I do have some. Personally though, I like the idea of a more DIY, hand made, hand painted piece. I'll probably leave it to others to experiment with different papers.

Steve

sjsquirrel

Not very good at designing things. I wonder?:confused:

You know what I mean. I didn't design the pin, I took someone else's design and made a reproduction in paper. Virtually all of the work I do in paper is like that. I build others designs, I take others 3D work and convert it to a paper kit, or take an existing kit and improve it, and so on. But I always start with a base from someone else. When it comes to designing an original piece, I'm not very good.

Steve