MM 1-2/2004 Cutty Sark

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Here are some photos and a brief review of Maly Modelarz's Cutty Sark.

Publisher: Maly Modelarz
Date: 1-2/2004
Scale: 1:150
Pieces: about 1200
Price: Average $6
Fit: Great
Color: Good enough for me, but not great

I have attempted several ship models, some waterline and some full hull, but have never been able to complete one. Usually I can never get by the gaps in the hull. I chose the Cutty Sark to be THE ONE to finish because I want to attempt the Shipyard Victory one day.

As noted, the model has over 1000 pieces and many of them are small. I am used to building 1:33 aircraft so the pieces are REALLY small.
The model went together very well and I was even pleased with the hull fit.

Attachments

• cuttysark.jpg
    cuttysark.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,124

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Here is a picture showing the hull. I have tried several full hull ships, but could never get a good enough fit. There were always huge gaps between the plates. This one came together nicely, though, with only a few small gaps of 1mm. The kit provided extra plating to fill any gaps. I like to build the kit as is, so I did not sand the hull and repaint it. Therefore, you can see some seams along the side.

Attachments

• hull.jpg
    hull.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,140

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Here is the stern, showing the wheel and the railings. I did the railings in paper. I am very close to be being a paper purist and will choose paper even if it could be done better in something else. It is a paper model, after all.

Attachments

• stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,208

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Here are some steps near the bow. They are very small.

It's raining outside today and there is very little available light inside, so not much is in focus.

Attachments

• bowsteps.jpg
    bowsteps.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,120

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
I enjoyed building this ship and recommend it to anyone who wants a full-hull sailing ship without investing a lifetime and one's life savings. The only drawback was that every former was 2mm thick. I used paper for everything but the minimal rigging you see, which is plain ole' thread. I also chose not to include all of the details, like more rigging, deadeyes?, and other little nautical thingies I know nothing about.

Get this one, folks. It's only about six dollars and makes a great model in a couple of weeks. I really prize the new Maly models for their price, fit, and overall looks when finished.

Maybe I'll be ready for the Victory next summer, or the next, or the next...

Brad

P.S. I may post more pictures when I have more natural light and can bring more into focus.

Attachments

• IMG_0007small.jpg
    IMG_0007small.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,178

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Russell:

Thanks for the compliments. I have to admit that I did the railings in paper partially because I am a purist, partially because I can't work with anything other than paper, and partially because I am lazy.

Brad

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
milhistory said:
Russell:

Thanks for the compliments. I have to admit that I did the railings in paper partially because I am a purist, partially because I can't work with anything other than paper, and partially because I am lazy.

Brad

I like your attitude I respect everyones rights to use other materials in there paper models but personally I like to keep them paper. I don't like it when a model is made in paper and then covered in filler sanded and painted. I take it the railings are laser cut? well done on the model it is a very good looking ship and as you say represents very good value. A little tip to get a better closeup pics, try using a tripod this way you can slow the shutter speed and reduce the aperture to give you a greater depth of focus.

Tirta

Apr 19, 2005
Indonesia
Hi milhistory,

Very nice build !!
Please post more pictures. :) :)

How long do you need to finish it?

You said you have attempted several paper ships,
what are they?
is cutty sark the easiest to build?

Best regards,

Tirta

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Tirta said:
How long do you need to finish it?

You said you have attempted several paper ships,
what are they?
is cutty sark the easiest to build?

Tirta:
It took about three weeks to complete the Cutty Sark. Even though it has a lot of parts, it goes together quickly and easily. And remember, I left out some of the detail like full rigging.

The other ships failed for several reasons. ONE: My skill level was not ready for hull plating. TWO: I tried the techniques I saw on other builds, like sanding and painting, and I found I was not up to the task.

I recommend it as a first ship model because of the price, fit, and level of difficulty. It is NOT an easy build, but someone with good experience in paper should be able to handle it. I have built several models with over 1000 pieces, but I do not yet have the motivation to tackle my 5000+ piece (and expensive) Victory from Shipyard. If I destory the Cutty Sark, I can easily buy a replacement. If I destroy the Victory, I destroy the Victory.

Brad

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
The model looks amazing. I like how you shot it against a backlight.

What I have to ask is...

Is the rigging completely finished?

It seems rather light on rigging... Almost as if the rigging is 10-15% finished.

also.

Love the railings and the expertise of cuts on the parts.

Please more pics if you can.

tino

Mar 17, 2004
Ponte de Lima Portugal
Great work.
Do you know that this ship as been with a portuguese owner during sometime?
Are sails made of paper? Are they part of the kit? Or do you need to make them out of tissue.

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Stev0 said:
Is the rigging completely finished?

It seems rather light on rigging... Almost as if the rigging is 10-15% finished.

The rigging is about 40-50% finished. I quickly get bored and frustrated when a model requires a lot of pieces other than paper. I like models that provide templates for wire parts and such, but also includes paper parts for those who wish to keep it paper. For example, I wished the Cutty Sark had provided paper railings to cut out, but allowed other materials for a more realistic look. I don't like models that REQUIRE a lot of non-paper parts to complete. I can tolerate a few pieaces of wire for hinges and some moving parts, but I prefer to keep my tools simple: paper, white glue, knife, and edging colors.

Brad

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
tino said:
Great work.
Do you know that this ship as been with a portuguese owner during sometime?
Are sails made of paper? Are they part of the kit? Or do you need to make them out of tissue.

I admit that I know next to nothing about the ship, so thank you for the new info.

The sails are paper and included in the kit. The Victory only provides templates for fabric sails...Grrr.

S

sdk2knbk

Like everyone is saying, Beautiful! Wish I had the patience (and space0 to complete a large sailing vessel like that! (I still have yet to finish any of my old plastic ones!)

Scott K.