Miyako Build Thread

M

Mark_1984

Having realised that Aru was not going to be finished in time for me to enter into the Free Model competition, I thought I'd better lower my sights a little. So I chose something a little easier, but still from the same site. "Miyako"

free1.jpg

Miyako was carefully printed out. Due to the complex nature of the folds, I decided to print it out on plain copy paper. (Or maybe it was because that was already in the printer :roll: )

free2.jpg

After a testing cutting session I ended up with a perfectly dimensioned part :)

free3.jpg

Gluing this complicated piece posed it's own special problems. The instructions say to use staples, but this looked a bit unsightly to me. However, I didn't want to use white glue as the large glued area would probably wrinkle, exspecially as I was using copy paper. In the end I opted for Pritt :wink: As you can see, the part rolled nicely.
However, the uniform roll didn't look right. What it needed was a continuously varying radius around the circumference. I achieved this with an innovative technique. The actual method is, of course, highly secret, but I call it my 'squashing method' :twisted:

free4.jpg

And here is the finished article. I have to say I'm very pleased - it turned out far better than I expected.

papertrain

Jan 12, 2007
virginia
A BEAUTIFUL BUILD:grin: It was very helpful that you included those great photos to. You instructions and comment on this extreamly difficult piece were very imformative:) Looking forward to more:twisted:
pt

thewoodengraver

Nov 4, 2005
www.thewoodengraver.com
Very well done sir! I am astounded you put it together so quickly. Thank you for the " technical jargon", it really helped confuse things, but I was able to grasp the jest of it. I have submitted this pic for POTW to admin. WELL DESERVED!!! Thank you for the build thread, the detailed explaination and pics, and your patience in fashioning such an intricate model. I always look forward to you Mark!

MOS95B

Feb 19, 2007
Robbinsdale MN USA
www.mos95b.com
I was going to say "One day, I hope to be able to build this well."

But then, I noticed the mis-aligned edge on the back side of this most complex model. That, unfortunately, changed my thinking to "Pssh... I can make that!".... :cry: (MN joke. You hear it a hundred times a day at the craft shows)

:wink:

Kaz

Jul 27, 2005
Cambridge
Its only problem is...... its a little on the large side, if someone could get it looking like that, but smaller and smaller, it could end up like one of those Russian dolls, now THAT would be a POTW winner

M

Mark_1984

I thought I had the competition in the bag, until MOS95B spotted that misalignment. I've blown it - I'm gutted - what can I say ........