Mitsubishi A5M "Claude"

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 20, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

They look like they are drooping, from certain angles but they are not...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Last pic and on to other things...

Attached Files:

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That drill is 65 bucks! any other similar options?
    Chris
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Look in a leather tool makers site. sometimes they have multihead punches, or something I've been pondering, use a drill bit. Before the objections get raised here me out. On some of the very high quality instrument panel builds guys have been using little copper wire circled into unbelievably small parts. If you use a slightly smaller drill from the back, or front for that matter, you will have your hole, but also a small "lip" of card, because it didn't take away that much paper. You could then stiffen that lip with a dap of glue on a small paintbrush, then dry brush or paint the lip and not only have the hole but a raised ring around the panel also. Man where was that thought awhile ago, I'll try it later!
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

A set of 6-hole leather punch pliers can be had for around $15 at most any decent craft store. It won't make as nice a hole as Ted's gadget (the edges will be rounded down slightly), and his set has more hole sizes.

You can also get some larger sets like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3838

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

There we go! That I can afford. I will check menards and home depot here :)
    Thanks guys!
    Chris
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Great build! Makes me want to start my DN Peashooter. I bought a set of punches from Scheuer-Struever (moduni.de) a while back. They weren't very expensive but they weren't sharp either. I had to file the edges to make them punch better. You may find the same issue with the harbor freight set.
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

As Above! Anything you think may be useful from harbor freight, needs sharpened, finished, honed and then sharpened again! I bought several of their punching products, being inherently lazy, they have the set for big gaskets, strong enough to punch thru brass, etc: not worth the price of having a pro sharpen them. Same thing with their hollow coreing punches. You're better off cutting them out with a scalpel or exacto!
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yeah, this is what I've heard. I've been meaning to get a set, figuring I can use the Dremel to sharpen them. I mostly want them for the bigger punches for larger parts like wheels and stuff that aren't quite large enough for the circle cutter but too big for the punch pliers.

I do have the leather punch pliers and they do work well and come sharpe.

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Man I've tried dremeling them, hand polishing them, stoneing them and they become brittle, cut one part and have to be sharpened again. I think they probably need retempered or something. For me it was a lost venture.
  11. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I've hand-filed them and haven't had too many problems. I think the friction from the dremel causes the punch to lose it's temper. I also use a leather pinch. For some really small circles I've used a 1mm chisel (filed to size from an x-acto chisel blade), or simply jabbed the point of a #11 blade around the part.
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wing 1

Here is the start of the wings. The wing root and outer panels.

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wing root trimmed up and placed on the framework that sticks from the fuselage. Very little trimming was needed to fit up the part. It is important to have the connector strip facing outward so that the outer wing fits over. If you put it in the outer panel it won't fit around the former in the wing roottstub...

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wing attached and join seem placed on. The outer panel has to be tight up against the stub on both top and bottom. This insures the correct dihedral which is built into the design, very clever!

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wing root fairings attached. Now onto the right side....

Attached Files:

16. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Very clean! Super build and thread.
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Good looking wing (design and build). Does the outher panel have much framework?

Rick
  18. Sumato

Sumato Member

No, the outer panel has no internal framework. To give it rigidity, I suggest filling the outer wing sections with pulled-apart cotton balls. It is still pretty rigid, without, though.
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Carl, the expense was well worth it. I've used that drill hundreds of times and the bits are still razor sharp! Anyways the construction is still going on. but due to work, at a snail's pace. I started on the landing gear, which is of the fixed, pants variety. The top sections are pretty straight forward, some ovals shaped to the wing contour and the boot itself, which turned out to be a real butt buster. The boot or pants are 2 pieces of elliptical parts with little relief cuts in them, that when done right will give you a kind of 3d football shape with the bottom cut out for the wheel and the top relieved for the striaght parts of the gear. Well being a man, I jumped right in and started on the half football part and tried to butt glue the thing. Well 1st try sucked eggs. I tried a second time using MANY little triangles on the inner surface, and for some reason that sucked even more. I tossed 3-4 tries of the thing out and managed one pic of the 4th try. Left pic. Then unlike a usual guy, I grabbed the instructions and lo and behold the light started to click on. I just preshaped the halves, (pic on right)...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Then according to the instructions, ahem, you glue this to a center strip, gently squeezing the precurved, formed section around this piece... (showm inside and out)....

Attached Files: