Mitsubishi A5M "Claude"

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 20, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well it's been a couple days since the end of the last project and it's time for a new one. There is a new company designing downloadable models in 1/32-1/33 scale called skyline models. They have 3 for now with a projected livery of the very unusual/ rarely offered aircraft. They are planning a Grumman Gaurdian and a Kaman Seasprite helo in the future. I hope they follow thru. Anyways the kit is downloaded in 2 pdf files, 15 pages of instructions and diagrams and 5 pages of parts. The instructions are diagrams and text and are very "newbie friendly". They assume very basic skills and a little prior experience. The parts are very clear and colorful and look cad designed. The aircraft itself was a very early Naval fighter that was the principal fighter in the Sino-Japanese war and did very well. The Claude was designed by Jiro Horikoshi, the Genius behind the later Zero. At the start of WW2 the allies were led to believe the A5M was the principal Japanese Naval fighter and when the reality of the Zero hit them they had to scramble to come up with a Zero adversary. The Claude was later used as a Naval trainer and then later as a Kamikaze. Most of the history and specs come in the instructions!

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A landscape view of the parts...

Attached Files:

3. josve

josve Active Member

The Commander brings more joy to the world!!

Also looking forward to this one Ted!!
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

BANZAI!!!!!
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Mike and Johnny, Arigato Goziamas! Mike, you've got me hooked on Japanese aircraft, don't know wether to thank or spank! We'll see. I was going to tackle the Marek Kikka, but you're doing a much better build than I could. I tried the Kampflieger 1-2 summers ago but the kids splashed it and the inks ran and the sun didn't come up, then the world reversed ,then ... It just wasn't finished.
  6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

My goal in (modeling) life - spread the love of Japanese planes everywhere :grin:
    I exchanged some e-mails and comments about the Kikka with author and have an answer what happened, but this in a proper topic.
  7. barry

barry Active Member

is that one of Sumato's planes ?
  8. Texman

Texman Guest

Yup, sure is.

Ray
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Start

Here are all the laminated formers that go with the kit...

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Sorry about the scoop Carl, it was this or their Banshee model. So far the fit is perfect. There are tabs where they feel a little support is needed, the rest is but glued. I did cut off most of the tabs anyway. I revamped the control stick, it was a 3 piece flat piece, I converted the pdf file into a bitmap and redrew it in Paintshop pro # something... Also in the pic are the trottle and mixture handles, which seemed a little beefy, so I replaced them with .03 plastic rods with glue heads...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Cockpit in various finished stages, the machine gun butts are open topped but will be covered by the fuselage skins. The revamped stick and throttle controls are on the left pic...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Also I made another control panel, and cut out the faces and sandwhiched some clear plastic... Here's a shot with the inner skin just placed over the cockpit, it shows the finished area that you get to view the completed details. I guess some of the details were just for my building satisfaction as not alot of it will be visible!

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Something to make it go...

The engine was a simple yet neat little assembly. The parts are shown here...

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The cylinders were meant to be squared off parts, but I rounded the presenting face of them to give it a more realistic look. The rest of the assembly was straight forward with a perfect fit, Bravo Skyline Models!

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Finished engine assembly with the inner ring just dry fitted. I was a little worried because it seemed not to go well but once you kinda screwed it onto the cylinder tops it fit perfectly! I'm kinda glad they didn't go into the pushrods, rockerarm housings wire, plugs and thingamabobs that the more detailed kits have, this build is a nice "easy" build coming off the pair of 109s.

Attached Files:

16. josve

josve Active Member

Nice work Ted!
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Great cockpit bash Ted, that stick you made looks really nice!

Rick
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys. The work isn't actually going that fast, in fact this next little bit of "simple" work took over an hour and 2 reprints. The cowling seems and actually is a very simple build, as designed! I had to use the GB method of butt gluing the rings and messed up a few of the rings and had to redo. I think if I had just went with the flow it would've been much simpler, but then all those tips and talents would've been shelved! And that simply would not do!

Attached Files:

19. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I like the way Sumato was able to design a simple engine that still looks very convincing.
    Excellent work cmdrted of building it and I already reserved space on my HD for photos of this model :grin:
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Some very little progress today. Having had to drive to DC from here@ 2hours for a gymnastics meet for my daughter, then stretching the return trip due to snow and frezzing rain to 3 1/2 hours, then having to console my son for his Dear Patriots losing to his nemesis; Peyton Manning, very little had been done. I fitted up the firewall pieces and the cockpit and after fuselage segments. There were no connector strips, but I think the idea was to butt join the segments fwd of the cockpit then use the formers as a sort of bridging connection between segments. This gives very little lip to glue to but is doable, but it didn't hold very well the first try, so I had to drop back and add connecting strips and grind the bulkhead formers a little to fit.

Attached Files: