Missabe layout progress

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Kevinkrey, Nov 7, 2007.

1. CRed

CRed Member

Thanks!I don't know if you mean mine or Kevins,Ralph,but yeah it's one of the better looking schemes out there.Too bad CN is starting to re-paint them to the more boring CN scheme.

I actually think that Athearn did a better kob with the color then Kato,the Katos are a bit too light and red if you ask me.They're not as red or light as the pictures show though and after adding all-weather windows and a few other parts to make it more prototypical(I already took the plow off)it will look great.

Chris
  2. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

I am actually modeling Minntacc as my taconite plant, not Taconite Harbor. Today I replace axles on several ore cars and took a video. here is the link.
    YouTube - HO DMIR taconite train
    My mom was better at keeping the train at a steady pace over the 4' steep downgrade I have. sign1 My DMIR locos still need the decoders I ordered, so the loco is a PRR SD45.
  3. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

That is going to be one looooong talconite train. Looking pretty schweet! :thumb:
  4. TN_Trainman

TN_Trainman Member

Layout is looking GOOD, cant wait to see the harbor area.
  5. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Have you chosen an Era for this layout?? (it appears to me you are thinking 80's-90's?? )

Not another Fitgers Chris!!!!!!!!Not sure if the Spot/Western can handle the competition LOL

I was Born in Proctor.........Grew up around the Proctor yard.
    When I was a Kid they were still using the big Mally's to steam ore in the winter.........Just try to keep a kid away from that operation :sign1:
  6. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Era? I thinking the 1990's, so no steam, but my steam could maybe run passenger excursions along the northshore. I like the big diesels the DNIR ran, I also want a few SD-M's, basicly time period right before CN came along.
  7. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW sweet progress Kevin!!!!

I love the ore cars, and that new Kato engine too :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BTW, Nice weathering on the hopper too :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

keep it up and keep the pics acoming :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  8. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

You mean CReds new Kato engine, i like it too. Here is a picture of a caboose in the yard and one from a caboose of the new track I have laid in the yard.

Attached Files:

9. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Lookin good!
  10. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Today I headed up to Duluth to see some trains and I caught some pics of DMIR 2-10-2 #508 with a mixed freight in the Superior area, only two more cars on the train and the camera died on me and I couldn't get the batteries in before the train dissapeared, but here is what I got. See if you can notice that I put a coat of plaster patch on the hill in the background, but enough pics of trains, I need to do more stuff. The potlatch car will eventually turn into a DMIR car to haul old ties. And thanks for the comments everybody.

Attached Files:

11. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

nice roll-by kevin :thumb:,but for some reason the hill is white and the ground is pink :confused::p:rolleyes::mrgreen:.--josh
  12. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Actually, the hill is tan right now, the blue/grey is part of the backdrop, and the white will become green or simply covered by trees.
  13. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Today I carved out the river banks. Here are some pisc with an excavator in the river on a barge and a drill rig up on the hill preparing for the concrete bridge supports. I hope to finish the yard by the and of the week, or at least up to the other yard track depending on how many switches the hobby shop has. I will also order my bridge sections soon.:wave:

Attached Files:

14. TruckLover

Nice job on the river bank Kevin!!

Is that excavator and pile driver kibri models?
  15. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

No Trucklover, they are acctually cheapos from a much bigger set from Wal-Mart:mrgreen::cool:. There is a larger mining shovel, pile driver, and one of the excavators with grader blade thing. Cant remember what I have lr=eft from the set. And one question for you, how did you pt links to your forums in your signature?
  16. TruckLover

Ohh from a distance that Pile Driver kinda looks like a Kibri Kit lol.

About the links. Ill send you a PM on how to do it :mrgreen:
  17. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

great progress shot kevin :thumb:,what do you plan on making the water out of? epoxy or te magic water from a manufaturer?--josh
  18. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Water from Woodland Scenics, (not the pellets) I have some left over from the previous layout. wish I had pics of it. I am waiting on my decoders from the LHS still. I hate comming home everyday to find out they have not called to say it is in. Very depressing. I am so anxious to run official DMIR diesel power on my layout.
  19. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Wow Kevin, you are making amazing progress. And I know what you mean about the decoders. I'm sure you are chomping at the bit to get those locos running!
  20. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Man - that looks like it's gonna be great!!!!!