Mirage III scale up

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by mor54, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mor54

mor54 Member

John,

I am using "white craft glue". Usually it works well.

For the moment I am busey with bubbles and paper deformation in the wings - bottom panels.

Shalom Mor
  2. Alcides

Alcides Member

Mor

Very good work. I like the "metal look" and Thank you for the information you give me about the Dagger.

Regards
    Luis
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Too good a thread to let die.......................

Any progress Mor?

john
  4. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

You just reminded me of a video I saw on youtube a few weeks ago, featuring some Mirages doing some low flying and aerobatic stuff, and one guy that takes off from an aircraft carrier and seems to feel the urge to go for a quick swim instead of flying. :D

YouTube - Crazy suicidal French Air Force Pilots !!!
  5. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi every one, another update - marking and cockpit.

Aircradt is painted, and marking are of 1967 Bate Squadron Mirage IIIC #778. The markings taken from BIAF - Israeli Modeling Magazine, are not painted, but printed on a paper, and than bonded. After cuting them the edges are painted, to better blend with the model. At this moment, only part of them are bonded, scaling problems ...

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

In parallel I am working on the cockpit. The basic cockpit was taken from the Kfir model, with scratchbuilding of the rear cockpit and ejection seat (still missing same details). It will be painted black, as was in the 60's.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Thats all for this time. Between family and work, it is some times hard to find time for modeling.

Till next time,

Shalom Mor
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Mor........... It's fantastic!

I understand completely about the time thing........... please believe that we all wish you could spend more time on it so that we could see more great work!

Thanks for sharing!

john
  7. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi every one, in this update, we have fuel tanks and engine nozzel.

The two 375 galon external fuel tanks are based on an Israel Air Force Magazine 1:50 scale F-4 model, that have a similar shape. It was scaled to the same diameter as the Mirage fuel tank, the middle section was shorten, and an additional cone was added.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Than I used a filling putty to give it the right shape, smoothed it with fine sand paper, and painted it with the same metallic silver painet used before.

The engine is the Atar 9B with the split afterburner nozzle, as the israeli Mirages were equiped in the 60's (see previouse profile, and next picture).

[​IMG][/IMG]

The afterberner duct is a cylinder made from two paper layers bonded together with woden sticks between them, to give the duct it's wave shape, not sure it will be seen.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

The split afterburner was scratch builed and bonded to the duct. The maine challenge was to install it in the rear fuselage with supporting points.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Thats all, till next time.

Shalom Mor
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

That's great details on the exhaust there! Nice work!
  9. Loco-S

Loco-S New Member

Im interested to know if you are making plans for this model?...I work with an Ex Israeli AF jet ace ( he bagged 7 Egyptian mig 21's)....could be a nice gift for him...
  10. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi,

The model is based on a 1-50 scale old Wilhelmshaven model, I have only a copy of it. Other models that I now about are : 1-50 Israel Air Force Magazine model, and 1-33 Geli and Maly models.
    I did some screachbuilding as you can see from the thread.
    If you need any help send me an e-mail, I will be hapy to give you mor information.

Shalom Mor
  11. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi,

Update for today is the maine landing gear. To screachbuild the landing gear, you need a deatail drawing - taken from BIAF - Israeli Modeling Magazine, and detail pictures from sights like Prime Portal

Mirage IIIC Walk Around Page 1

Each wheel is done from 7 card frames, each one smaler by 1mm, bonded together. This gives you the wheel's basick shape, with final shape achived by filling it with white craft glue. This is done (with a lot of patience) a few times to achive the right shape, and than painted black with acril paint.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The main strut is done from a wooden stick, part of it wrapped with paper, to give it the required thickness. Painting is gray and silver.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The two parts are bonded together and a layer of white craft glue will be spread on it to protect it and give it a shining look.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Thats all for tonight,

Shalom Mor
  12. amos357

amos357 a-c

shalom mor...
    I'm working on the same model of mirage. there is no cockpit in it.
    where do you find yours ? can I get it from you?

thanks

Amos Cohen
  13. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi everyone, it's more than a month from the last update, part of the time I was on a trip in US and enjoyed a few hours at Hillo Air Force Base near Solt Lake city, now the to do list is even longer....
    But in the mean time, I need to finish this model - The basick landing gear ( without all the small details) is done and bonded.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The nose gear was done with the same technik as the maine gear - a wooden stick, part of it wrapped with paper, to give it the required thickness. Painting is gray and silver.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Next step will be detailing of the landing gear and the cockpit.

Shalom Mor
  14. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

GREAT LOOKING BUILD LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING HER COMPLETE !!!! KEEP UP YOUR GREAT WORK !! SHALOM:thumb:
  15. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi every one,

The model is on it's landing gear, maine and nose gears are bonded, and after adding some balance weight on the nose, he is "standing" on his gear without any support. As is seen in the second picture, some more screatch decals were added.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Door are screachbuild, and for the nose door rear ribs, I used thin wire. The model number is 758, and only the last two digits were on the door.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

In the cockpit, for the front panel, I used a picture found in the internet. To resize a 100k picture to a 19mm wide print, without losing it's sharpnes, I past it in a power point file, and then manualy resizing it.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Till next update,

Shalom Mor
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

==Fabulous!!==
  17. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi,

Another update that brings me closer to the finish line. The fuel tanks are done and ready to assembly.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The tail number was a chalange, didn't have any labels, so I scan them from a drawing at 600dpi, printed, cut each number seperatly and bonded it. At the firs attempt the numbers were to big and to bold, and hade to replace them, seconed attempt was much better.

[​IMG][/IMG]

In the cockpit, the ejection seat was scratchbuild, the front panel's outside and side panels painted blake, as was the cockpit interior in the 60's. Next step will be the canopy.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Till next time,

Shalom Mor
  18. Avi8tor

Avi8tor New Member

Wow! It looks really great. Great build!
  19. Janx

Janx Member

A great build, a real treat to see it progress too.
  20. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi every one,

Before updating on the canopy build, I whant to thank you all on the interest and encouraging comments.

To do the casting for the transparent canopy shape, the model parts were built on a stiffned jig, and after the casting, inserted a metal part to hold it when the plastic sheet will be heated.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Shaping the transparent canopy was done in two parts on the same mold, using my kitchen gas oven, with the smolest fire. This was my first time doing it, and more than one plastic sheet was thrown before geting the right shape.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The transparent frame was done by bonding a silver painted on the outside, and a blake one on the inside. For bonding I used a small amount of white glue, and was very careful not to spread it on the transparent part. Next step was to boned the forward canopy.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Tille next time,

Shalom Mor