Mirage III scale up

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by mor54, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi every one

For a new project (in parallel with others), I chose to build an 1:33 scale Mirage IIIC. From what I know, only Geli's 1:33 scale Mirage III model was ever published, and only 2 old 1:50 models - Wilhelmshaven, and an Israel Air Force Magazine. The first of the last two looked as the most acurate, and I enlarged it by 1.5 to 1:33 scale. As a referance I enlarged a drawing to the same scale.

Scaning of a silver color is problematic, so I enlarged it on a photocopy, and will paint it when finished.

The model will be in the Israel Air Force 1967 natural metal finish, the squadron will be defined later.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The fuselage is build from 11 sections, bonded to each other by tabes. The high number of sections serves to get the Mirage's typical shape.

In compering the fuselage to the drawing, few accuracy problems were found:
    1. Aft fuselage is to long by 8mm, already corrected.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    2. The wing spar box protrde at the bottom, and hade to reshpe it (see picture before / after).

[​IMG]
    3. The nose cone has a wrong shape, and I will have to scratchbuild it.

[​IMG]

Next stage will be the tail, wings and air intakes.

Shalom Mor
  2. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very interesting. Really the lack of models of this plane surprises me. I think the Mirage III was a lot more popular.

I admire you: I'm in card modeling just because I hate to paint. :thumb: and you are going to paint the complete plane in metal finish.

by the way: Do you get this nice 3d views in some site?

Regards
    Alcides
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This is going to be fun to watch! I am looking forward to every little bit of your build!
    I too am a little surprised that this plane has not been modeled more than it has. It is a beautiful craft!

Thank you for sharing your build with us Mor. :cool:

Shalom to you also!;)

Russell
  4. rowiac

rowiac Member

Maly Modelarz published a Mirage IIIC in 1:33 scale (2/1981). I looked around but couldn't find a picture of the cover.

Roger
  5. mor54

mor54 Member

Russel, Alcides and Roger

Thanks for the comments.

Roger you are right, Maly Modelaz published the Mirage IIIC model not once, but twice, in 1965 and 1981. Did a Google search and found this GPM site that give MM history.

GPM - modele kartonowe

Look for "ANTYKWARIAT".

The drawing was downloaded from

Sky Corner. Aviation Reference

The range of drawings is from WW1 to modern.

Regards,

Shalom Mor
  6. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi every one.

It is time for a new update.
    The wings and tail are done and bonded to the fuselage, with a little bit of tray and error, at the end the fit is good. The original nose cone was removed, and a new one is screchbuild.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The inlets were first painted from the inside and than bonded to the fuselage. At the forward end I added a half ring, to keep the half round shape.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Till next update,

Shalom Mor

The inlets outer skin is done from two parts, bonding was from the middle to the ends, without the gap for the boundary layer close to the fuselage.

[​IMG][/IMG]

To correct it, I used pictures found in the internet, and a drawing from Air Internatinal Magazine.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Very interesting build!
    This is the cover of the Maly Modelarz Mirage

Attached Files:

8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Very cool build. I just finished the Mirage F-1 in 1/33 so this is great timing.

An Israeli camo with the orange triangle ID markers would be another nice version!

john
  9. mor54

mor54 Member

Thanks John,

In the future I am planning to build the IAI Nesher and Kfir, and they will be in camo.

I am also interested in the Mirage F-1 model, which model did you build ?

For a small update on my modell, the screachbuild nose cone is done. It is made of 5 parts, and at this time bonded to the fuselage.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Regards,

Shalom Mor
  10. Alcides

Alcides Member

Nice to see you have progress, my lack of time stops me to do some paper modeling.

A model of Nesher exists? Or you are thinking in to scracth build it? I'm interested because the nesher where buy for the Argentine Air Force and used in the Malvinas war.

Regards
    Alcides
  11. mor54

mor54 Member

Alcides,

There is no IAI Nesher model. The basic idea is to use the Hobby Model no.24 IAI Kfir model.
    The main differance between the two (relative to the Kfir model):
    1. Canards should be deleted
    2. Tail intake should be deleted
    3. Rear fuselage is longer (Nesher has an Atar engine, not J79)
    4. Saw tooth in the outer wing shoule be deleted

[​IMG][/IMG]

Another way is to use a Mirage iii model.

Shalom Mor
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I'll have to get more info on it for you.......... I bought it on eBay.........it's in French markings and is very detailed.

The designer used textures to finish the model instead of doing it in PhotoShop or PSP. So it looks a little blurred, but it is very detailed and goes together nicely.

Nesher and Kfir models would be nice........... along with Moshe's P-51, F-15, Arava, and A-4 and Nobi's Ouragan there are not many models in paper.:cry:

I still plan to do Moshe's A-4............ I want to have it ready for the Library Display I have next year.

john
  13. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi John

Is there a Nesher model, or is it a Mirage 5 ? Any way, I am suprised. Can you give me more details ?
    I have 1-50 scale old models of Ouragan, Myster IV and Super Myster from Israel Air Force Magazine, that one day I will upscale them to 1-33.

Shalom Mor
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shalom Mor........

I haven't seen any paper models of the Nesher.......... so if you make mods for one I for one would be interested and would love to see it!

The F-1 can be gotten here:

Mirage F1 C scale 1/32 Airplane, Free Ship within 24h - (eBay item 160160847372 end time Sep-30-07 11:00:00 PDT)

Like I said............ he used textures to finish the model and it would be hard to do a re-color.

Nobi's Ouragan is in 1/48 and is representative of the shark-mouthed versions. He also did a French livery too. I have thoughts of up scaling this to 1/33, if I do I'll post a picture for you.

Keep up the good work on the Mirage III......... so far it looks great!

john
  15. mor54

mor54 Member

John,

Thanks for the link. I have bought one of the F-1 models, and the question is were to put in the "building list".

Thanks,

Shalom Mor
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Mor....

How's it coming? Long time........... no hear.

john
  17. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi John

Sorry for the late responce.

I started the painting, and run into two problems:

1. The painting exposed air bubbles in the tail (the scale up parts were on thin paper, bonded to a thicker paper), and I found that bonding was not 100%.
    2. Not related to the first problem, the maine wheels doors, should be larger, per the drawing and pictures.

Hooping to solve this problems soon, and post more updates to the end of the week.

Shalom Mor
  18. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all, coming back with another update - fuselage is done, starting painting, and running into problems.

Another change to the oroginal model is the roket motor. The Israeli Air Force didnt use it, and replased it withe a thine fine and an optional fuel tank, as seen in the picture of an IAF mirage 3 in the 60's configuration, and a drawing taken from Aircraft Archive v1.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Afret finalizing the fuselage, next step is painting. I am using WAKO metalic silver paint. First layer went well, up to the point of painting the vertical tail. Her, the painting uncoverev air bubbles in some areas - bonding the thin up-scale model to a thicker paper was not good. Had to open this areas and re-boned them. Small area of the spine was also deformed, another repair need to be done.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Before painting the bottom, from compering the model to drawings and picture, I found that the maine wheel doors should be larger, see top drawing and picture of an Swiss mirage iiis. Right size door is seen in the in last picture. The air brakes should be wider and moved to the edge of the doors bays.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Before continuing the painting, soom repair needs to be done.

Hooping to hear from you all,

Shalom Mor
  19. Avi8tor

Avi8tor New Member

Wow I like this a lot! Very nice paint job. The finished product is going to look great.
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow Mor.............. you have made some progress!

What glue did you use to bond the papers together?

Have you tried a spray contact adhesive? This might allow for a better coverage and help keep the "bubbles" from occurring.

The paint really shows off the panel lines!

john