Mini-shelf photos

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Built this little shelf for loco photos this evening. I got the idea when I tried to add a photo background in Photoshop and decided it would be too much work to crop around the entire train - far better to build a small place with an appropriate background. Because then you could change trains at will.
Anyway here it is - it's done on a scrap piece of 1 x 6.

:D Val

Attachments

• enginedisplaylr.jpg
    enginedisplaylr.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 185

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here is the same shot cropped. Even without having added the background yet I think this looks pretty good -- except for the dead white guy in the upper right of the shot -- how did he get there?

Attachments

• fake.jpg
    fake.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 185

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Val, Neat idea and that's really going to show off your models.

Obviously the little guy has "paled" in the presence of your models and has fainted "dead away"!!!:eek: :D :D :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great Idea, Val!
Not only is that good for photos, but is a good way to display your modeling work for others.
(great job scenicking that track, btw!:cool: )

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Val, nice idea that, display loco's on a fully scenic board, great.

Shamus
wink.gif

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Looks like the guy's been dead for awhile. Does the local athorities have any clues????:D :D

I was going to get a 1"X4"X6' board for some HO track just to take pictures of the Jerk Water at my in laws house since he doesn't have a striaght section yet.But I never thought of scenicking it. Now it will be scenicked.

Is there a "K" in scenicking? I followed Charlies spelling:D :D :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks all! I've found a photo of some track showing rust on the ballast all along the rails, and I'm going to try that look. Meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions for little details I could add to make it look more like a switching yard?

cheers

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Val, Back in the steam era a switch yard was not the most beautiful place in the world, only to a modeler. There would be junk, cans, barrels, paper, boxes, spilled stuff, oil, grease, packing waste from car journals, weeds, hobos and who knows what all over the place. :eek: Not to say that it was a virtual junkyard or trash dump but they just weren't as concious about those things then as they are now. Anything that would give it sorta of a railroad/industrial flavor would imho be approiate.

If you can look back some older model mags for articles on George Sellios' Franklin and Manchester.....He is the absolute "master" at "trashing" railroad right of way. Just remember that the railroad always ran through the worst part of town....Betcha never saw one next door to the Country Club
:D :D :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, it looks like the authorities have arrived on the scene. The body has obviously been there for some time as it is completely stiff. As to the unnatural palor of the deceased, there is speculation that he may have drowned in a vat of sunscreen....very mysterious.

cheers
Val

Attachments

• cops/body.jpg
    cops/body.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 70

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ahh, the famous detective Hercule Poirot has arrived on the scene with startling news! The corpse is that of the Man from Glad, and he has been suffocated....but how? And why?

cheers
;) Val

Attachments

• detective.jpg
    detective.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 66

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The corpse is that of the Man from Glad, and he has been suffocated....but how? And why?

With the advent of ziplocks and quick-covers...he just couldn't handle the loss of fame, so he wrapped himself up for posterity.

Aahhhh, of course, wrapture.......

Then again, it could all be timing. You did say evening, perhaps you cropped the photo too close to the "twilight" zone. ;) ;) :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by aartwmich

Did you paint those figures Val?

I painted the two workmen, but not "Poirot". The cops came with white shirts and white stripes on their pant legs so I painted the shirts light blue and used a red Sharpie pen on the stripes, which I bought specifically for that purpose. Most of my people are from unpainted Preiser sets - they're much cheaper that way, plus a lot of the colours they use on their painted figures are too bright for the 1950's so I often end up repainting them anyway.

cheers