Mini Models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Kjev

Kjev Member

I still have the Tiny Tac if you want me to send it to you.
  2. Tirick

Tirick Member

Nice models! What scale did you design them to?
  3. Kjev

Kjev Member

Gearz,

I have one request on the Hammerhead: Can you make it roughly 2 inches long? I think that would make it about 1:285, N-Scale, or 6mm, depending on what standard you use.
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

K'jev ~ Yep no worries mate.. will do! :thumb:

Obviously I'm jumping the gun here, however mini models or large scale models, really do have a lot of interesting possibilities.. Certainly, it would make it easier to construct diorama's ~ a series of mix and match mini's models etc..

In the pic attached 'outpost1' the 'outpost' model is just a spacecraft from the 'Homeworld' game flipped on its nose, it makes a pretty convincing Imperial outpost building.. yep... a few Star Wars mini's on the cards I think.

* Could one of you scale wizards give me an idea of how big an AT-AT would be at say.. 1:350 scale..? maybe 1:400 as well..

Attached Files:

5. Tirick

Tirick Member

:D Like all things from the SW universe, that depends on what record you want to believe. Wherever possible I tend to fall back on the SW Technical Commentaries, but even that sometimes just raises questions.

According to Dr Saxon (who wrote the SWTC), the AT-AT walker is about 23 m high, 26 m long and 8m wide. Note this differs from the Wookiepedia measurements, so feel free to edit as you see fit.

1:350: 6.6 cm high, 7.4 cm long, 2.3 cm wide (or so).
    1:400: 5.8 cm high, 6.5 cm long, 2 cm wide.

I'm rounding of course, but that will be pretty close.
  6. Gearz

Gearz Member

Tirick ~ Excellent, thank you!, that certainly sounds like a reasonable size to build. Even though there's some debate as to the exact dimensions, luckily it won't make a huge different at 1:350 ~ 400.. so I'll average it out.

Btw Thanks re the SAAB models, as for the Scale..? I'm afraid I'm rather slap happy when it comes scale. I develop bigger models so that the largest part will comfortable fit on an A4 or letter page. I know its annoying to many scale modellers but = scale ~ non compos mentis
  7. Kjev

Kjev Member

Another source might be the "Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels." I lost my copy, but it had a lot of fluff info on the AT-AT. I can't remember if it gave any measurements, though.
  8. Tirick

Tirick Member

I have it, although it lists the old WEG height of 15 m. Technically that is the official height. I also have the SW Technical journals, which has a side-view internal diagram. I can probably extrapolate from that if you really want, but essentially it's up to the modeler to build at whatever size they would prefer.

**edited**
    Ok, so I checked against the internal map provided... which was quite neatly to 1:50... and the height of the top section equated to about 7.75 meters. The ratio of the total height to the top section is 1:2.59, so the total height should be 20.5 meters... despite the height listed on the same page as 16 meters.

:D yes, I am obsessed...
  9. Gearz

Gearz Member

The BSG mini's are available as a single pack.

Stephen ~ I had to slime the pack down to make the file size manageable, in doing so, I got mixed up with the working files and the masters. ~ I've missed including a few the recommendations you made, not critical, just bloody annoying to figure it out after posting them.

* Its a constant battle with a dialup connection, so large files give me a heap of problems ( 6 megs ~ pitiful, isn't it) ShortR version ~ I gave up trying to check the file downloads ok, so please let me know if there is any problems with the zip file.

A BIG thanks to stephen.irl, ekuth and sjsquirrel for the assist on this set of minis.:thumb:

BSG MINI MODEL PACK

enjoy
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

AWESOME!

Vidi, Vici, Downlici (I came, I saw, I downloaded!)

Great work Gearz! Can't wait to try them out!
  11. stephen.irl

stephen.irl Member

No problem buddy. Glad I could help. The master copies look great. Makes me want to build them all again :mrgreen:.

I know what you mean about the file sizes. We only got broadband this year. Best thing ever. Especially for this sort of work.
  12. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks cousins :thumb:

btb.. ooops, I'd better start doing a quick proof read of my posts ~ I had to 'slim' the files down not slime them. :oops:

A mini hammerhead coming up next.
  13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Saab

Hey K'jev , I hadn't really noticed it before, but there seems to be quite a bit of variation between the movie prop mock-up, and all the various CGI + scale models.. Probably a moot point at this larger scale, but do you have any preferences..?

Attached Files:

14. Kjev

Kjev Member

Wow. All these years of loving this ship and I never realized that. I like the lines of the full-scale one the best. And it doesn't need landing gear. I know they are supposed to have the chin turret, but is that even possible at 2 inches long?

And again, thanks! I'm willing to beta- build this one for you, too.
  15. Tirick

Tirick Member

Hell yes! I'm in the middle of a prototype helmet for my 1:50 ARC Pilot, and its only about 5mm in diameter. The rounded cheek sections are about 1 mm in diameter...

Of course, my wife and friends think I'm crazy... :D
  16. Tars

Tars Member

Have you checked out my Mini Dropship Series? They're 1:430 :D
    So far I have made a Halo Pelican and a Republic Gunship to go along with the Aliens dropship!
  17. Kjev

Kjev Member

Tars,

I did go to your site. I've been there before, but not for a while. I like the mini dropships! In the miniature wargames we play, they'll be just about the right size (we use a lot of micro machines, plastic models, and anything else). Our scale is fairly loose. he "if it looks all right then it's good" rule.

I not only downloaded the mini Pelican and LAAT, but also the Andorian cruiser. I think it might work fairly well for a shuttle or dropship.

By the way, the text link on the mini LAAT page takes you to the mini Pelican Page.

My brother challenged me to a Battletech campaign: Everything he's got against everything I've got. The winner eats dinner at Red Lobster, courtesy of the Loser.

Can you say "Massive Reinforcements?":mrgreen:
  18. Gearz

Gearz Member

Sorry for the delay cousins, after ten years of service my old PC finally croaked = R.I.P ! :violin1:

I have another system jacked up and it seems stable enough, I just have to do all of the tedious re-loading, setting up and familiarize myself with the new furniture, I should be up to speed in a few days or so hopefully.

I've uploaded ( I hope) a minor update to BSG MINI PACK, It doesn't require re-downloading if already have it, the model patterns are the same, it just has some clearer pictures of the finished models taken by Stephen.irl If there's a problem with the zip file please point it out.

K'jev - Roger the movie prop version. My preference as well

TARS - Your mini's sound excellent.. I haven't see them before but I'm off to have a look.

* Jeff Re the Star Wars mini's, there's a guy that's done a brilliant job of developing some for a table game.. I haven't got the link handy,, I'll hunt it down, unless some else can drop it in here for us.

cheers
  19. hawkman67

hawkman67 Member

Gearz;
    I know of the link you are talking about . I have all of his models, the minis are realy nice for the size. A bit of a challenge to assemble, but only because of my fumbly fingers,LOL http://www.momirfarooq.com/ Here is the link for the page.
    Jeff
  20. Kjev

Kjev Member

Sorry to hear about the PC croaking Gearz! I understand completely. Hope all the re-loading goes well. It always seems to take me forever, too.